1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Question About Pickling

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Kris1224, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Kris1224

Kris1224 New Member

NYC
    Hello!

I currently have some fur in a citric acid pickle. I plan to pickle for 48 hours and shave it. But instead of returning it straight to the pickle, I would like to dry salt it for a few days before returning it to the pickle. Would this create any problems?

I would be doing this for practical (transportation) reasons.

Thanks for your input!

2. PensivePronghorn

PensivePronghorn Member

Citric acid pickle? You don't use salt, water, and safety acid? Is your pH 1 to 2?

3. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

If your just transporting them somewhere and are going to set up a pickle there and put them back in , then just pull them out , shave them if you want but not necessary and put them back in pickle for couple hours , then bag them wet straight out of the pickle , you will be fine for a few days , I wouldn’t salt dry . If it’s only couple days .

Kris1224 and swampfox2 like this.
  4. Acid, Water and salt makes up your pickle. pH of 2.0
    shave the hides, out back in the pickle over night,(this is to make sure the pickle has reached all the skin) pull out and allow to drain a couple hours. Then in a plastic bag, I had shipped hides in the way across the USA even in the heat of the summer.

No need to resalt the hide after the pickle.

Kris1224 and swampfox2 like this.
  5. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Ok some bad advice up there as you need salt and acid in a pickle.
    13point JD are correct in what their saying.
    Once a hide is pickle you can only do three things with it after you shave it.
    1 back in pickle till your ready to tan.
    2 freeze it till your ready to progress with it
    3 Neutralize, tan
    Never salt a pickled hide for it will crack and cause more issue than you think.
    Since not knowing of the purpose of transporting this cape I personally would after you shave it, back in for a few hours or overnight if you can. Drain well, bag it to keep from drying out and travel to your destination. From there you can make a new pickle band go from there or even neutralize it and go through the tanning process.

6. Kris1224

Kris1224 New Member

NYC
    Thank you for this advice. Very helpful.

If I freeze straight from the pickle, would I need to neutralize before freezing?

7. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

No but would to after the pickle tanning is done .

Kris1224 likes this.
  8. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

No as I stated freeze pickled then when your ready you can then go through the neutralizing process and then tan