1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What's On You Workbench 2020

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by BrookeSFD16, Jan 4, 2020.

1. Wally Gator

Wally Gator Well-Known Member

59B6746C-914C-48FE-894E-F41356D3D11C.jpeg My first turkey rug. The skin is on plywood. I then made a grid on insulation board to assure symmetry. After reviewing this picture I made a couple minor tweaks to the wings to correct symmetry. I always find something to adjust when I review pics.
    Blessings

Mario Pinocci, benp, 13 point and 8 others like this.
  2. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

If you left some meat in there it will always smell. Since you had so much trouble with this bird i would just pluck out the eyes and scrap the bird. Toss it up as experience and move on to the next one. You will be much happier in the long run. As i mentioned before, we all learn from our mistakes.

Wildthings and bucksnort10 like this.

3. I mean, I did put Balmex in the wings to preserve anything I missed. It’s probably just how the meat smells then.

4. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

That’s one nice turkey rug now!
    Balmex , haven’t heard about that stuff for ages! If you got most of the meat out it should dry eventually but if not it might draw bugs. Did you use borax in the wing?

True story, when I did my first couple birds I used balmex to preserve the wings. Never turned them or anything. Friend still has a bufflehead I did for him and it’s still got the grease stains on the wings too!!! Stuff we believed!

AlpineValleyTaxidermy likes this.
  5. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

Wally, That grid pattern is an awesome idea. Thanks for sharing your work. It is nicely done. Will you add more (ie head?) later? The feathering is quite a bit darker than our turkeys here in Wisconsin, especially in the larger wing feather groups. Is the coloring common in your area?

AFTHUNT and pir^2h like this.
  6. Wally Gator

Wally Gator Well-Known Member

6BAE5DE0-6E29-4900-A4DA-507DF81EF8DD.jpeg
    Thanks for the compliment and encouragement Bucksnort. I am not going to put a head on it, though I have seen some with head that look great. There is currently a piece of clear plastic where the head would be holding the feathers in place.
    Regarding color, this one was a little darker than others. Many have more gold in the tail, such as the one attached which I mounted three weeks ago.
    Blessings

Mario Pinocci, benp, 13 point and 3 others like this.
  7. Yeah, do you think the meat could still dry if it was rotting. I think it probably would because when I had finished skinning this bird, I had thrown the carcass outside, checked the next day, it was gone because of coyotes. But, there was one piece of meat left that the flies partially ate for that day and then I found it 3 days later and it was all completely dry. It didn’t have a smell or anything. But, yeah, that’s what I forgot to do. Put borax in the WINGS. Do you think I should try to put some borax in there to dry out the meat, or should I just try to remove the meat.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
  8. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

Remove the meat.. Balmex was originally used in the funeral industry as a powder to sprinkle in the mouth and abdomen areas. Would not actually preserve anything just slow down the decay process and help remove mosture. Rotted, dried meat is still rotted dried meat and is not sanitary. Bringing a rotten, sun dried mouse in your house and sitting it in your kitchen would not be good even if it did not smell. If you want to excel as a taxidermist you really must make sure you complete every task involved in taxidermy to its fullest and that requires removing all meat and fat on every specimen.

bucksnort10 and BrookeSFD16 like this.
  9. Thanks, I’ll try to remove the meat. By the way, Balmex is now a type of liquid that you inject into the meat. At least that’s the type of Balmex that I have.

10. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

If you would have purchased a good DVD from a company like Taxidermy Training Unlimited, Research Mannikins or McKenzie, you would have avoided a lot of trouble with your mount. If you care about the animal/ bird you owe it to do your best, which won't happen without investment in training.

bucksnort10 and BrookeSFD16 like this.
  11. bucksnort10

Quite a few taxidermy supply sites offer great videos showing one of their taxidermists mounting both a flying and standing bird. I highly recommend viewing some of them. (IE McKenzie and Matuska. And there are probably even more.)

They make it look easy. : ) My skill set and ability is no where near good as theirs. Ha

12. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

Balmex has been offered as a liquid for a long, long time. I bought a container of it when I first started in the late 70's. I still have that container which is about 7/8th full of it

13. ARUsher

ARUsher Active Member

I like this a lot! This is exactly what I was thinking about doing with the next turkey one of my sons harvest. Thanks for sharing this!

Wally Gator likes this.
  14. Tanglewood Taxidermy

That rug is really nice.

Wally Gator likes this.
  15. Tanglewood Taxidermy

I too, still have about 1/2 a bottle of Balmex from the late 80's. I used it a few times and came to the conclusion that it was laziness in a bottle.

I did have the glorious experience of the needle going through the wing of a bird and into my finger and I then somehow did a reactionary injection, which left a large bump in my finger that remained painful for quite sometime, like weeks.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
  16. spurhunter

spurhunter Active Member

SC
    Really nice. And good idea on the grid pattern, one I will be using. Thank you.

bucksnort10 and Wally Gator like this.
  17. bucksnort10

IMG_2560.jpg

benp, Taxi-lover, Wally Gator and 2 others like this.
  18. AFTHUNT

AFTHUNT Active Member

My first! Let the grooming begin!:) 20200723_052938.jpg

19. bucksnort10

Oh Tom (pun intended), that is awesome.
    It looks in great shape already!

KLFL, Wildthings and Wally Gator like this.
  20. AFTHUNT

AFTHUNT Active Member

I have 2 more to put together today.

bucksnort10 and Wildthings like this.