1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Western PA School Of Taxidermy Vs Northwest Iowa School Of Taxidermy

Discussion in 'Training' started by C-33PO, Jan 4, 2020.

1. C-33PO

C-33PO New Member

Hello All,

I am looking for some information from former students from either institution as to recommendations, likes, dislikes, and any other pertinent information regarding their time spent as a student. I am in the early stages of planning my taxidermy endeavor and I have narrowed down my choices to these two locations. I would be showing up to school with zero taxidermy skill or background besides field dressing plenty of deer and 2 cape jobs for shoulder mounts that were taken to a real taxidermist.

There is quite a distance difference between both locations and I would be passing one to get to the other depending on the final choice. For those that went to either school in regards to lodging were there places to eat close to either the school or lodging?

I have scrolled through all 93 forum pages under the training section reading information related to both schools. Each school seems to produce confident taxidermist but have you come away from school being capable, well rounded , or feeling stronger in one area as opposed to another?

I appreciate anyone taking the time to reply to this post. Just looking for some information that isn’t found on either schools website.

Looking to make the best informed choice for a school for someone with zero experience who’s mechanical ability usually ends at “exploded view.”

2. murph

murph Member

Hello,
    My opinion for what it's worth... give Mark a call at WPST and just chat with him a bit. Mark is a great guy and a better instructor of Taxidermy. I finished up my schooling from him in 2009 and could not have been happier. I think the best thing with this school is just because you finished your lessons at the school, Mark and his staff are just a phone call away for ANYTHING you need. I live about 3 hours away from the school and had a few issues that needed hands on with putting the animal together and Mark asked me to drive down with the items and we worked on them at the school with no charge. I'm so very glad to have selected this school. they are very good people.
    Thanks, Lance

3. tmdennis

tmdennis New Member

I attended WPST w/ Mark Jordan in 2010. Mark is very kind and a very patient instructor. I had very little experience with actual mounting as most of the 7or8 students in class and came away with more knowledge than expected. As stated above, Mark is there if you ever have questions or problems after graduation, I've called him many times. The School is just outside of Punxatawny(sp), w/plenty of restaurants, fast food, bars, and even Wally world. Best of luck to you!