1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Sewing 1/ Hand Or 2

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by 13 point, Jan 6, 2020.

1. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I’ve been doing some life size pcs and was thinking I could be so much faster if I could sew with both hands , meaning pushing needle thru , I always use my right hand to push thru grab with same hand . I tried going back and forth , but end up sticking myself and bleeding LOL all over the mount . HOW BOUT YOU ALL ?

swampfox2 likes this.
  2. swampfox2

swampfox2 Well-Known Member

Nothing like ramming a 6 inch needle into your hand to get your attention ! I am right handed and keep my left below where I am stitching making my right do all the work. That's just me and the way I started just never changed after ramming holes into my left hand. I also use two hands on the Sawzall to keep from cutting one of them off ! LOL

3. I use both. I’m both right and left handed. Just depends on what I’m doing. I still stick myself though!

4. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I'm left handed. and use one hand for stitching, and the other for keeping hair or feathers out of the stitchline.

5. tem

tem Well-Known Member

my self.i just hate sewing.lol

Dwb5, pir^2h and swampfox2 like this.
  6. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

Same here and my fingers sometimes show it.

7. antlermike

antlermike Active Member

I have taught myself to use Left and Right when I do sew, try teaching yourself to do other things with each hand first like combing your hair using a fork and knife with your weak side. I also airbrush with both left and Right it will take some practice but really helps when you get hand cramps

swampfox2 likes this.
  8. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

"Nothing like ramming a 6" needle into you hand". This has never happen to me, nor will it ever. The reason is that I prefer to ram my hand with a 1 1/2" needle! Still get's my attention though.

9. I was doing a coyote that was case skinned so I had to sew that up but I use really small stitches. After that and sewing up the dorsal I opened my hand felt like a pincushion.

swampfox2 likes this.
  10. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Being diabetic, I kept test strips and meter close by and was able to test my blood from sewing all day long. No need for a lancet on those days.

Dave York and swampfox2 like this.
  11. Micah Howards

Micah Howards Active Member

I have one hand pushing the needle and the other hand pulling the skin tight.

swampfox2 likes this.