1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Degreasing

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Jhookeye, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Jhookeye

Jhookeye New Member

I’m getting ready to tan an air dried beaver. Was wondering how you can tell if has been degreased enough.

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

What was your whole process?
    Plus pics might help

3. Jhookeye

Jhookeye New Member

I haven’t started yet. I’m trying to get a good idea of the process first. I’ve done some hair on and have tried buckskin so I won’t be totally green. If it works out I’m hoping to do some more.

4. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Active Member

NY
    Have you just aired dryed them? If so That's not going to degrease them. When you soften to pickle you need to wash them in a good degreaser dawn soap is good but beaver are very greasy you may have to wash a few times extra. The question you asked with the vague information you gave makes it hard to really know what question. You want answered

5. Jhookeye

Jhookeye New Member

I’ve had it for a year or so. It has been dried since I got it.

6. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Active Member

NY
    Like Frank asked what is your process for tanning ? But the answer is no it has not been degreased

7. Jhookeye

Jhookeye New Member

I have a two part kit I got from mckenzies or van dykes. I’m out of town at the moment or could describe better. It is 2 bottles one is tanning agent and one is softening oil. It’s obvious that is is not degreased. That’s kind of why I posted the thread. Can you tell by looking at it or is there just a rule of thumb like beaver 2 times coon 3 times etc... I’ll be starting this project soon and was hoping to get some insight.

8. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

First off READ on tanning and degreasing on this site. If you got an air dried beaver your going to need ( though not necessary but recommend) enzol-b to aid in hydration of the cape.
    Grease likes to penetrate and this product will help in the hydration of the skin prior to the pickle. ( citric acid is best to use)
    You need to pickle for 3 days, shave, degrease ( many good degreasers are our there) read directions back in the pickle again for 3 more, shave again ( beavers have very thick skin) degrease back in the pickle, check to make sure it’s thin enough, if not same thing, shave do another degreasing back in overnight. From here you can drain, neutralize, tan then oil. It’s not an easy process on beavers to have it done correctly.

Fallenscale likes this.
  9. Jhookeye

Jhookeye New Member

Thanks Frank! I’m going to have to print that out. I’m going to taxi/tanning school real soon. Got a Dakota 5 at home waiting on me. Will probably be building an 8ft tumbler in the near future. Hope to be doing a lot of this when I’m semi retired in about 3 years for fun and possibly some income/barter. Hopefully in the Rockies. I’ll post a pic of the beaver when I’m done no matter how it turns out.
    BTW I am on taxinet a lot! Especially when I’m at work. I’ve read all the threads on tanning. I’ll have to go back and make some notes. Thanks again!

Frank E. Kotula likes this.