1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Neutralizing

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Kris1224, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Kris1224

Kris1224 New Member

NYC
    Hello! First time here, I’m using a kit by TruBond. I just finished a citric acid pickle (maintained ph between 1.5 and 1.9 for 72 hours).

Rinsed the cape in fresh water and placed it into a neutralizing bath (1 tbsp sodium bicarbonate and 1/4 lb salt per gallon), and it instantly swelled. Is this a bad sign? Assuming it is, is there anything I can do to fix it (rinse in fresh water and place it back into the pickle)?

Thanks for your help!

2. If it’s a deer cape, you should shave it before you neutralize it. The pickle plumps it up so you can shave/thin the cape. After shaving/thinning you neutralize. Some put the cape back into the pickle again to make sure the cape is pickled all the way through. Now you neutralize. I think TruBond calls for a 30 minute neutralizing bath. The Swelling you’re referring to is the sodium bicarbonate neutralizing the acid. The cape feels kind of spongy. Once the cape is completely neutralized, the spongy feeling will go away. If you didn’t shave/thin the cape before you neutralized it you can do now. At any rate, what you’re describing is how it’s supposed to work.

Kris1224 likes this.

3. Kris1224

Kris1224 New Member

NYC
    Thank you very much!

4. Kris1224

Kris1224 New Member

NYC
    I believe I removed it too soon, prior to it being completely neutralized, and started the tanning (since it's still a bit swollen). Should I rinse and put it back into a neutralizing bath?

Also, the hair is beginning to fall out - not in clumps, but shedding. Could this be caused by not thoroughly neutralizing?

5. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

It sounds like more issues than what’s going on here.
    The method of tru-bonds are correct and to have the issues your saying is telling me that the directions weren’t really followed. Even if the cape isn’t shaved it should never swell up in a neutralizing bath. Plus if hair is falling out it could be many reasons.
    I would get it back into the pickle and restart the process making sure my pickle is 2.5 ( the highest to no more than 1.5 ) as I like to keep at a 2. Also my salinity is at 40-44%. Sorry I don’t mix my chemicals up using the one pound per gallon as I rather use my equipment to make sure it’s correct JMO.
    The other reason is bacteria growth prior to the pickle.
    After the pickling and shaving ( not everything needs shaving as we do this for taxidermy reasons)is done and you mix the neutralizing bath correctly placing the cape in there for 20-30 minutes, drain and tan.
    Now if you added to much sodium bicarbonate in your mix that can cause epidermal slippage.
    Sit back , slow down go over all the steps but remember it doesn’t always go right for there are variables that can cause havoc at anytime

Kris1224 likes this.
  6. Kris1224

Kris1224 New Member

NYC
    Thank you for this, Frank. Would I need to wash off the tanning oil, or do I just put it back into the pickle as is? Also, if this is epidermal slippage as a result of too much sodium bicarbonate, would putting it back into the pickle help this?

7. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

A quick rinse is fine
    Not really what damages are done are done. We really don’t know what caused it. The pickle kills the bacteria but doesn’t stop what already happened