1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Looking For Recent Heater Recommendations

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by szembek, Jan 9, 2020.

1. szembek

szembek New Member

Hi everyone, I'm looking to pick up an aquarium heater to degrease a couple of deer skulls. I read old threads talking about the aqueons that can be modified to go up to 115, but am unsure if anyone has recently bought one and found it still to work. Amazon has a 300w for $14... Or if anyone else has a different suggestion I'm all ears. Looking to keep the cost low, this is just as a hobby for my personal deer heads.

2. szembek

szembek New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Does anyone have insight if this style aqueon will work?

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

The knob appears to be the same as the old one. Go to a good pet store and see if they carry them. Take a look at one in the store and see if the knob can be pulled off revealing the post underneath. I bought about 5 of these when they were on sale in Petsmart and bought several of the Tetra type that did the same thing in Walmart. All cheaper than what they sold for on Amazon. You can overclock them but you have to be careful and delicate when you do so.

4. szembek

szembek New Member

Thank you. Amazon had one for $10 so I'll give it a whirl. If I can't get it hot enough I have a skull I wanted to try macerating anyway so I'll use it for that. I'll update this thread for others when I see if this model works for this or not.

5. maxp

maxp New Member

A pawfly HT2300 works also..cut the little plastic stop and crank it around till it hits the temp you want...dont know if you can get them in the states though...I'm from Alberta

6. szembek

szembek New Member

Just an update, the aqueon I bought from amazon doesn't appear to work like the old ones. After turning to max, I was able to remove the blue cap, and twist the clear "knob" further, but it didn't seem to have any effect on raising the temp above the normal 80 degrees or so. I eventually turned it all the way around twice and it still had no effect. Oh well it was worth a try. There is a sous vide machine on amazon for $35 I'm pondering.

7. Sea Wolf

I have a sous vide cooker but it was an expensive one. I am also tempted to try one of these cheap ones I am seeing now. At least for smaller containers. The bucket heater and thermostat is still my go to for the larger stock tank and I had one set up with a water heater element and thermostat that also worked well until the element burned out.
    Tempted also now to construct an outdoor hot box and heat the air inside of it instead of the water.

8. John_UpaTree

John_UpaTree New Member

9. Sea Wolf

Good to know that Inkbird works with those. There is a thread on here showing how to wire one into a thermostat. Plugging into the Inkbird would be easier.

10. Don't buy any that have a glass body, only all plastic. Trust me learned that lesson many moons ago-no matter how careful you think you will be you will break them. I use the Aqueon pro 250 or 300's in 5 gallon buckets. Probably have 5 of them

11. HondaXR250

HondaXR250 Active Member

Ohio
    I use an Aqueon for macerating in a 5 gallon bucket. And it works descent. But it wont turn up high enough for degreasing. So for that i use a Duda Diesel bucket heater.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OYEABG...b926bb3567358bac07162338c36d89&language=en_US
    477a0320-d2db-49af-8c2a-e3c81dc2d77e_1.440ef83931fa56a4980d8837b3707518.jpeg
    I have two of them rigged onto 9 gallon blue barrels like these.....
    Barrel-Drum-9-Gallon-Screw-On.jpg
    These barrels are awesome, and so are the heaters. They come in celcius so you only have to turn them to around 35-50C.

12. Sea Wolf

Looks like you have bare ground and no snow in the background. Do you just leave the bands on the barrels exposed? Or are you also wrapping the barrels with something to insulate and hold in heat?

13. HondaXR250

HondaXR250 Active Member

Ohio
    The picture of the barrel is actually the picture from the guy i ordered the barrels from on ebay. I actually keep my barrels in the garage.

I havent wrapped them yet, but have thought about using aluminum tape to wrap around the heaters, then wrap the barrel in some insulation, but thought it would make it harder when dumping them.

The heaters will turn up to 150C or 302F..so worrying about them contending with winter hasnt been a problem. If i truly wanted i could crank it up and melt those barrels in the middle of winter. But obviously i keep them around 30-50C.

14. Sportsman13

Sportsman13 New Member

With those duda bucket heaters, do you have to circulate the water? I bought one, but wasn't sure if it was too much of a spot heater for the degreasing process. Thanks!

15. HondaXR250

HondaXR250 Active Member

Ohio
    Nope i dont circulate it. Im sure it wouldnt hurt to, but i dont bother

Sportsman13 likes this.