1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Need Ideas On Removable Kudu Horns

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by BO-N-ARO, Jan 12, 2020.

1. BO-N-ARO

BO-N-ARO Hunt hard but hunt safe!

I tried searching with no luck. I have a couple kudu and thinking of removable horns.
    Looking for a tight fit that has a nice intersection so the hair lays on the horn when in place.
    Thinking of epoxy putty but afraid it might lock the horns on even when using a release agent.
    Any suggested techniques would be appreciated.

2. jk

jk Active Member

You can bondo the horns on like normal, just valesine the cores good before you set on the horns. When they set solid but not completely set, pop them off. I have done this this kudu and gemsbuck

3. AZ~Rich

AZ~Rich " Africa" never fails to satisfy

That certainly could work assuming you grind the cores smooth all around and insure they evenly taper down from bases. I would be leary about the bondo breaking loose from the smooth inside of the horn sheaths if you apply the wrong pressure when working them on or off. You could bondo to cores permanently (as is usually done), but do it to the skull before you cut it to fit the form. You should be able to set them to correct geometry. Once they are set you have the mobility with the skull to make a perfect saw cut on each of the core bases below where the horn sheath ends. Drill out and epoxy in a steel square stock in horn end and mating square tubing in core bases. When you mount it up you can add apoxie sculpt around core bases for the build up and extend sheath edges lower if need be to allow the hair to lay up over them. Normally I do not do removable horns on mounts as they allow a safe way to handle them and can make hanging easier. Good luck!

4. HondaXR250

HondaXR250 Well-Known Member

Ohio
    I seen a picture somewhere where a guy made removable antlers on his elk using all thread

5. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

That’s fine and works for antlers but Kudo are horns and has a core you have to worry bout

6. HondaXR250

HondaXR250 Well-Known Member

Ohio
    Not if you fill the horns with bondo, and preset the all thread into the horns first. Then cut the horn cores down to a few inches, and hollow them out and preset nuts down inside them. If you really wanted to, you could bore two holes down into the form aligned with the holes in the horn cores, and preset more nuts down in the form with bondo. Then it would have multiple nuts holding it in place.