1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Which One....

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Newbie1, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Newbie1

Newbie1 New Member

I watched a YouTube video and the fella used caulking as a hide paste. Is caulking a better substitute for hide paste? I would think if you oiled your hides before mounting the caulking method wouldn't work so well....

2. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

I tried the caulk method after watching the Brian Hendricks video. It seemed like it work good enough but I think I am going to stick to the hide paste method. Hey, if you don't experiment you will never know what works best for you!

I also noticed that he did not rough up the form before mounting the fox. It would seem to me that roughing up the form would give it a better bond. But who am I to say, Brian is a world class champion taxidermist.

Micah Howards likes this.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

McKenzie (I think or one of the big suppliers anyway) sells a couple of brands of hide paste that come in caulking tubes so you can have the best of both worlds the convenience of caulking tubes and the strength of hide paste!

4. Newbie1

Newbie1 New Member

Thanks for the response...did you happen to see what brand Brian caulk used? I think the fella I watched used the cheap white caulking.... makes you wonder.

5. Newbie1

Newbie1 New Member

Probably pricey I would think...

6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Mckenzie hide paste and Buckeye Supreme is $6.75.

7. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Here you go!

IMG_3558.JPG

Sam 10November1775 likes this.
  8. Newbie1

Newbie1 New Member