1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Potentially Illegal Skull

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by zzyzz, Jan 13, 2020.

1. zzyzz

zzyzz New Member

i picked up a skull that from recent research was most likely an illegal action on my part.

i had zero knowledge that what i may have done may be illegal.

am i better off returning the skull where i found it, or contacting authorities, and explaining that i had no knowledge of wrongdoing at the time.

this is a very rare specimen skull.

appreciate the help

MixedupMel likes this.
  2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I’d return it , these days you have some gunghoe people out there and won’t see that you did the right thing , there just going to make you an example. Your better off putting it back and in a few weeks if it’s still there take someone there and show them , let them make the call to the proper person or authority to put it where it belongs.

MixedupMel and Fallenscale like this.

3. zzyzz

zzyzz New Member

thanks.

that's where im at. didn't realize the severity of what i did until further reading..

crazy how many people are involved within state legislation with some of these particular species..

appreciate your reply

MixedupMel likes this.
  4. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

I was on the coast a few years back and there was a skull there. I wish I had taken a picture of it. When I came home I googled every marine mammal in the pacific coast. There was no skull from any marine mammal that resembled it. Still have never seen anything like it n

MixedupMel likes this.
  5. 13 point

There ya go , now you can ask bout getting permission to claim it

msestak likes this.
  6. zzyzz

zzyzz New Member

i quess i could try, but after reading, i didn't find anything regarding california allowing people to claim these. they seem to have pretty significant value, but there is minimal records of legal sales that i came across online.

msestak likes this.
  7. 13 point

Worth a try all’s they can say is yes or no .

msestak likes this.
  8. John_UpaTree

John_UpaTree New Member

WOW...it would be hard not to pick that up!!!

msestak, joeym and tem like this.
  9. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

msestak likes this.
  10. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I think you are beating yourself up over nothing. As long as you possess it, and don't do anything stupid like marketing it on the internet, you'll be OK. Personally, I would have probably picked it up, had I been there!

tem, HondaXR250 and msestak like this.
  11. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

if you ask and they say no. the result is the same....You dont have it.

but if they say yes...then its yours. contact a legiscritter and ask them to change the law if picking this up is illegal. it worked here in PA.

12. Rausch

Rausch Well-Known Member

They just made it legal in MT to pick up sheep skulls. They have to be plugged the same as if they were shot and you can not sell them.

msestak likes this.