1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Looking For Consultant For Shop Set-up

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by MNorton, Jan 14, 2020.

1. MNorton

MNorton New Member

Can anyone direct me to an advisor or outfitter to assist in studio development, design, as well as start-up supplies and equipment needed? I am looking to open a taxidermy studio on my property and need guidance.

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Where are you at and what experience do you have? Do you want to specialize in anything? Will it be a full service business? Meaning will you do everything from antler plaques to lifesize big game, panfish to sailfish, quail to swans, reptiles, pets and the often odd requests some folks have?

George likes this.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Breakthrough Magazine is a trade magazine and they have some back issues that have a series on shop set up. They interviewed highly successful taxidermists on how their shops are set up. You get different ideas from the different taxidermists and it really helped me out when I started. You can check to see if those back issues are still available at their website.

Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  4. MNorton

MNorton New Member

Thank you! This really did help.

5. MNorton

MNorton New Member

All good questions. I need to make some decisions; I do not want to overwhelm myself from the get go.

6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

You are welcome.

What I am about to tell you is the most important thing you can do for your taxidermy business.

If you plan on doing taxidermy for a business, no matter if you want very part time or full on, you will HAVE TO RUN IT LIKE A BUSINESS. If you accept money only twice a year for services, YOU WILL HAVE TO RUN IT LIKE A BUSINESS.

Forget taxidermy lessons, they won't help you. Forget studio set up, it won't help you. Get a year or two of BUSINESS CLASSES, then go on to taxidermy classes and studio set up.

If you only plan on this as a hobby, then you can do the taxidermy classes and studio set up and then concentrate on the business classes as you go, but, DO NOT start charging money for services until the business classes are done.

Breakthrough Taxidermy Business Manual is a good start to learning business related to taxidermy specifically. It's where I started and built on to that with community college classes.