1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

My First Coyote

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Cnelson, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Cnelson

Cnelson New Member

I've always wanted to harvest a black coyote but never even seen one while hunting. A friend of mine finally got this one she had on trail camera for a couple years so I thought what better animal to attempt my first coyote mount on. I've done a lot of deer and 10 or so Bobcats but this was my first coyote. I'm really happy with how he and the base turned out. Let me know what you think. Constructive criticism welcome. Thanks for looking. 20200114_200223.jpg 20200114_200223.jpg

2. 1stturkey

1stturkey Member

black is slimming, heheh. It looks skinny but that could indeed be because it's dark. Not bad at all for your first coyote. Eyes and ears are a bit asymmetrical but pretty darn good overall. ear bases look a bit too wide maybe. Good job!

Micah Howards likes this.

3. IF that's your first you are well on your way to being a damned good taxidermist. I agree with the poster above, the right eye (our right) and ear are off, but other than that very nice.

Micah Howards and Cnelson like this.
  4. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Great job for first, just a few little things to work on , the main thing that hits me right away is the hide is thin like early season and you have it in a snow scene , not saying it is , but is what stands out to me

5. 1stturkey

1stturkey Member

13 point saw what I couldn't put a finger on: hide is thin. And I was afraid my post about black being slimming might have been slightly racist...:)

6. Cnelson

Cnelson New Member

I thought he looked skinny too. I ordered the form that I measured for and I measure on outside of hair before I skin. It could have went on a little bigger form still. They killed on a day when there was snow on the ground is why i did the snow scene. I tried to fluff his hair up as much as i could.