Hey everyone. I have been a long time lurker on here. Recently, I found a freshly roadkilled coon. I started to flesh it to the best of my ability. There were a few mistakes since it was my first. I was a bit ambitious lol because I wanted to keep paws, nose and lips etc. I would like to tan it eventually. A bit of context: fleshing took longer than expected since i was new. 3 days. The hide was kept at subzero temperatuers. During this time, there was a bit of hair slipping through the hide and a gentle pull, pulled them out. I guess this is hair slippage? I figured it was best to salt it and wash all the blood off. So I washed it off with dishwasher soap (palmolive), then I salted it (not rock salt, but powdered and non-iodized). eventually the hide was drying and starting to toughen up. I started fleshing more during this time the more detailed parts like face, paws, etc. I decided it was time to pickle, so I relaxed it in water and salt solution. Some hair came out again of the hide. It wasn't in clumps, but the hair poked through the hide. I then degreased it with coleman's lighter fuel and a bit of dishwasher soap again. I don't know if this is from moisture, or bacteria for the hair slips. The hair does not pull out in clumps. I don't have access to the taxidermy chemicals, since I live in Toronto, Ontario. So here is what happneed: I prepared a solution of cleaning vinegar (10 percent acetic acid) and extra strength viengar (6 percent acetic acid) at 50/50 ratio. No water was used because i figured this was already a weak acid. I used 1 gallon in total of the two vinegars mixed together I added 1 pound of salt, and even had extra salt. The ph was measured with a calibrated meter. It was about 2.3-2.4. I placed my coon hide in it. Swishing it around periodically after 12-16 hours, I tested the ph. It was a 3.3. Yikes. I took out the hide, it had hair slips again. but I feel this would probably be from moisture at this point? I mean it was dessicated dry with salt before I relaxed it again. I mixed a new pickle. This time 75 percent of the solution was made with the cleaning vinegar, and the rest was made with the extra strength vinegar (3/1 ratio). I added salt as usual and a bit extra just in case. the ph was about 2.20-2.3ish. I placed hide in again and swished it. 6 hours later, I tested the solution, and it was 2.67 ph. I took it out because I was afraid bacteria were gonna keep growing. I decided to pour salt over it because I didn't want to continue without seeking advice. Again, a bit of hair was slipping through the hide, not in clumps at all. My question are these: How are people getting such low ph's with weak acids? I was under the impression that these weak acids (citric and acetic) do not go below ph 2.0-2.5 even if yu concentrated the acid into the solution? Should I buy glacial acetic vinegar or 30 percent acetic acid vinegar and add more of that into this solution? I don't like the idea that it was at ph of 2.67 and 3.3 at all. I feel that I messed up with the ph, and maybe even allowed bacteria to grow. I don't think this is the sole cause of the hair slipping though because it happens usually when the hide is wet. Still lots of fur left though lol I have access to 30 percent muriatic acid, but I don't know if this is a good idea to toss a bit of muriatic acid into this pickle solution in order to lower the ph. It is the most easiest to access for me. I found a dealer who is able to deliver taxidermy chemicals to me, but they sell a brand of pickle acid, that I have never heard of. They could not send me a msds and I couldn't find info on that acid anywhere in google. All I know is that it is a mineral acid and can reach ph of 1.0. It can be used on furs when I asked him. When I hear mineral acid, I just think why not just use muriatic then since that is a mineral acid as well. I just don't know why I would pay a lot of money for shipping and an acid that the seller cannot provide info on for me, nor can I find info on it. the last resort is to pay really high delivery fees for safetee acid to deliver to where I live. it would be a last resort, since it would be almost double the price probably. Can anyone offer assistance ?