1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How To Attach Skull Cap To Plaque?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Bryan Hains, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Bryan Hains

Bryan Hains New Member

Hi guys, amateur taxidermist here. How would you recommend that I attache a whitetail skullcap to a wooden plaque? I don’t want to run the screws from the back of the plaque through and into the skull or antler base. The skull is only maybe 1/2” deep.

I’ve read that maybe I should place a small wood block inside the skull and pack around it with bondo, and then screw into the wood from behind the plaque.

Well the bondo hold the word securely in place? Is this the best approach? Any other ideas? Thank you very much!

AA9C589A-DF7C-4EF3-BF70-CE10DB4914CE.jpeg

2. tem

tem Well-Known Member

iv done it with bondo and it held up. but i have also used wood glue to hold the wood.

3. Lil critters

Lil critters Member

I cut apiece of wood ki d of oval shape. Screw the antlers to it. File in the bottom and over the skull with mache or bondo. Sand nice and flat when dry. Then screw from the back of the plaque into the wood on the antlers . Hope this helps you out. 20200316_161611.jpg 20200316_161611.jpg

4. Lil critters

Lil critters Member

20200314_160659.jpg

5. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Well-Known Member

NY
    I would using epoxy adhesive to hold your wooden block in