1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hd-100x As Degreaser

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by HuntMaine, Jan 16, 2020.

1. HuntMaine

HuntMaine New Member

Hi guys, I am new to cleaning skulls, have been macerating some deer, bear and moose skulls this year.. I am onto the degreasing step, and was wondering if anyone has tried the HD-100x degreaser sold by HQ taxidermy supply...? My father has some he uses in the tanning process on skins, and I was wondering if it would be good on skulls as well..

Been lurking for quite awhile now, lots of great info on here!!

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Pretty much has been found that hide degreasers not only do not work on bone they end up being cost prohibitive. Macerating is a great way to go and you will find that a large part of the grease is already gone. Dawn dish detergent is super cheap and works very well.

What you could do would be to do two test skulls. Maybe bears. Degrease one with Dawn and use the Hd-100x for the other. It is a solvent based one so it might be different. Keep the temperatures the same for both (115 degrees) and see how they progress. If Dawn doesn't do it for me I will add ammonia or even use ammonia straight. Acetone can also help break down grease but it is a problem to use with antlered skulls.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020

3. HuntMaine

HuntMaine New Member

Thanks for the reply! I will try it and see what happens! It’s definitely not cost effective that’s for sure, but since he had some laying around I’ll give it a whirl.