1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Thawling In A Pickle

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Lance.G, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Lance.G

Lance.G Well-Known Member

Is there any affect on the antler coloration when thawing a frozen deer head in a pickle? I imagine there would be, but I would like to here from someone with experience doing this.

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Not sure bout the antlers, but I believe you would have so many other problems . Your ph would change in your pickle and go weak and bloody , the hide would not get much penetration of the pickle especially on the inside , skinning and fleshing would be a nightmare to include the ears , not sure I would even attempt it , as I see a ton of issues that could and most likely would happen.

3. Lance.G

I saw a you tube of Brian Hendricks thawing a whole bobcat in a large pickle. He didn’t have any trouble turning. Maybe a deer is different? Don’t know. Seams like PH would be ok as long as the pickle is big enough. I’ll try to post the link to his video.

4. Lance.G

5. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

I have thawed capes in water and bactericide, and it works well. Never tried an unskinned head though. I don't know why thawing in a pickle wouldn't work though. I would think it would be good for the epidermis. Maybe put a shed antler in a pickle and see what happens to it.

Lance.G likes this.
  6. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

No real reason to thaw in a pickle unless your going to throw that mix out.
    Grant you the pickle will stop the growth of the bacteria as it’s one thing a pickle does. Plus it renders it useless.
    I rather thaw in a fridge using stop rot on the face, ears etc. Or if your in a rush, use a salt brine. The salt helps in thawing plus, slows the growth ( puts to sleep) any bacteria on the deer.
    Remember this if damage is done your not going to stop what’s damaged only stopping it from spreading.
    As for antlers it won’t discolor only darken cause of the water and once dried out it’ll return to a normal color

Lance.G likes this.
  7. Lance.G

I appreciate the feedback Frank and Don. I may try the salt brine method. IV just been thawing at room temp with no trouble, but I can see it biting me on a questionable Cape.

Frank E. Kotula likes this.