1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Competition Or Not?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by John_UpaTree, Jan 16, 2020.

1. John_UpaTree

John_UpaTree New Member

I'm in the process of completing a couple of deer mounts (my first) and possibly a coyote shoulder mount. I'd like to attend the state convention, if anything to be a lookie lue & maybe some seminars....but should I go ahead and enter a mount just to get some ideas of improvements needed or wait until I'm looking to refine my art?

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Yes , Most definitely , put it under novice or beginners . It will help you tremendously. Goodluck, keep us posted .

msestak, pir^2h and John_UpaTree like this.

3. John_UpaTree

John_UpaTree New Member

Great thanks. That's what I was thinking, just not sure how those competitions are run.

4. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

After the judging have the judge go over the mount with you. The judge will point out problem areas you need to work on. It is worth going to a show just for that, the seminars are a plus and you will most likely pick up several tips. Good luck to you!

Vic

msestak and John_UpaTree like this.
  5. John_UpaTree

John_UpaTree New Member

I looked up the Illinois Taxidermy Association Convention and it doesn't look like they have a novice/beginner division. I will still likely do it unless I'm just not happy with the finished mount. Maybe the Commercial Division.

Guess a good question, should I try to finish it to the detail of a competition mount or just stick with the basics.

6. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Do the best you can to match your reference but go into it with an open mind. You will learn a ton and not just from the judges or seminars but also chatting with other taxidermists.

skinner26, msestak and 13 point like this.
  7. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Commercial is lower then professional so that’s probably there novice division and is what you should enter . As stated finish to the best of your ability using references . Definitely get the mount critiqued by the judges and even anyone in the masters division you might have struck up a conversation with, this craft has a lot of opinions in it and they all will help you to move forward and get better . The sky is the limit, only you can take it to the level you want to be at and as stated always go at it with an open mind , the truth can some times be harsh and hard to take , but use that to better urself.

msestak, pir^2h and 3bears like this.
  8. John_UpaTree

John_UpaTree New Member

Thanks for the advice all....guess I need to get on it and get it done.

msestak, pir^2h and 3bears like this.