1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

I Really Screwed This One Up!! Check It Out......

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by BBCS, Jan 16, 2020.

1. BBCS

BBCS New Member

So....I had this guys skull looking pretty good after about 4 weeks in the heated dawn bucket, except for a couple dark looking spots down by the nose, just above the eyes, and the horizontal bones behind the eyes. Probably would have been ok, but I wanted it better. I thought maybe the "brown" spots down by the nose was blood so I did a 4 hour soak in Iron Out. Rinsed it good...no change. Back into a fresh bucket of dawn and I added a cup or so of ammonia. After a couple days I checked it and it was BLUE! Crap! Still had the dark spots too. I left it in the soak for almost 2 weeks. Slight improvement to the dark spots so I pulled it and let it dry for a couple days. Then I put it back in the peroxide one last time. 24 hours later this is what I found!!!! Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. BBCS

BBCS New Member

The brown stuff is chalky and it scraps off, but EVERYTHING that was submerged in the peroxide is brown. And the top, where I only had a towel wicking up the peroxide, is slightly brown in areas and still blue. I had a rubberband around the nose before the Iron Out but I took it off before I put the skull in the peroxide.

3. seal it with a mat sealer then use a bone or ivory white to paint

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Odd. Have you tried one more soak in Iron Out? The brown does look like iron or mineral stains. The blue I got once or twice came out with a soak in strong peroxide and a good period to dry but that was from blue colored Dawn. What you have there looks different. The blue faded a lot for me but it was still there but extremely faint. Did you make the solution of Iron Out strong enough? My experience with Iron Out was that once you used it, don't put it back into the peroxide. Are you also using 40 VOL or the pool shock type peroxide (27%)?

Curious what you did *after* putting the rubber bands on. Note that under where the rubber bands were touching the skull .. the bone is white.

5. BBCS

BBCS New Member

I had put the rubber band on after 3 weeks in the heated blue dawn. one more week in the blue dawn then peroxide then a 4 hour soak in Iron Out that was mixed according to the directions. Almost 2 more weeks in the heated blue dawn and ammonia (that's when it turned blue) then a 2 day dry. then I put it in the peroxide where it turned brown. The peroxide is 27% diluted down to about 9% and it's probably getting weak due to the fact that I haven't figured out how to keep it sealed while doing antlered skulls. The only reason I put it back in the peroxide was to get rid of the blue. Otherwise it looked pretty good. Sea Wolf, you said above not to go back in the peroxide after the Iron Out. That's what I did....lesson learned! Must be some kind of reaction?

6. Sea Wolf

Yep. See if you can find my post on the Pot Belly Pig. I wouldn't be diluting the peroxide. Try using it straight. Letting antlered heads sit in it won't hurt. You can cut a piece of sheet plastic to set over the top of the liquid around the antlers if you want. It isn't volatile like acetone is. After a few hours your skulls are white and you can pour it back into a bucket and put the lid on it. Poke a small pinhole in the lid to let gas pressure off.

7. BBCS

BBCS New Member

Thanks Sea Wolf. I found and read thru your pot belly pig post. Very interesting. You went from Iron Out to peroxide and back to Iron Out if I followed that correctly. Did you notice any of the bone disintegrating. The bone on this skull right behind the molars crumbles away under the slightest touch! Do you think I will get the white to return if I do another Iron Out soak?

8. Sea Wolf

I would try and see. Just be very gentle handling the skull and moving it around. Were the rear molars possibly abscessed? How was the skull cleaned originally? What I did find was that Iron out got rid of a lot of the staining but peroxide after made it return worse than before. If the Iron Out Gets it to where you are good with it, don't peroxide it again. You might also consider drying it fully and stabilizing it with Paraloid B72.

9. BBCS

BBCS New Member

It was originally cleaned with beetles then heated blue dawn then peroxide then the Iron Out then more blue dawn and ammonia and peroxide again. It seems like the longer it sits drying, the brown is fading away. The two front bones fell out, so I think I'll try one of them back in the Iron Out again. We'll see. I'll take some more photos and post them tonight. Thank Sea Wolf!

10. BBCS

BBCS New Member

I can't hardly believe it! I put one of the front bones back into Iron Out and it was almost instantly white again! I did the other one with the same result. So I poured the Iron Out solution over the entire skull and all the brown is gone!! Now I have a beautiful blue skull!! I'll post pictures as soon as it dries some.

11. BBCS

BBCS New Member

it has dried for a couple hours now. Looks a lot better but it is still quite blue. Any suggestions on how to deal with that? Maybe some kind of white dye? blue again.jpg

Rausch likes this.
  12. Sea Wolf

That is indeed blue. Best pastel blue job I've seen. I think, if you hit it with peroxide, that brown is going to return. Was the Dawn the blue one? If so, as a guess, look around in the laundry section and see if you can find the dyes. Look for Rit Dye Remover. It's made for the washer but you should be able to make a solution of it and try soaking it. The couple that I had that were blue (and one that was pink) were not that, in your face, blue.

13. AlanCoderre

AlanCoderre Member

I soaked one in Coleman camp fuel and got blue like that once. I then soaked it in dawn and water for a couple days then whitened it. Everything came out.

14. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

After two blue skulls and a blue turkey skin, I learned that clear Dawn was my friend.