1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Final Scrape/fleshing While Pickling

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by NYtrapNclap, Jan 17, 2020.

1. NYtrapNclap

NYtrapNclap New Member

I am currently getting a Fisher hide ready to tan. I have the pelt in a pickle. I am going to pull it today and do some final fleshing. When I'm doing this I have two questions. First how wet or dry should I have the pelt before working it. And there is a thin membrane that is extremely hard to get off. Do I need to get all of this off or am I good to leave it as long as my pickle penetrates fully? All the fat and meat is removed.

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Let it hang and drain , squeeze it out as much as possible, you really don’t want it to make a puddle on your work table , if you can’t get that membrane off by pushing it with a draw knife then very lightly take a scalpel and do a checker board cut to membrane not hide , and you’ll be fine .

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Make sure all the fat is off as the pickle can’t penetrate. Do as stated above the best you can.
    If you don’t have a draw knife, spoons with an edge, scalpel, knifes, clay tools can help in getting the membrane off.
    Whether it’s going to be mounted or soft tanned you’ll need to get it off as it’ll make the skin shrink up bad and be hard.
    Also working over a blunt edge after the tanning process will help in getting it off just going to need a lot more breaking

4. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

If the Fisher is a fairly thin skinned animal ( I have not messed with one) I would use a wire wheel to remove the membrane and fat. ( I use a bird flesher) That's the way I flesh all my thin skinned animals now. Brian Hendricks has a video on youtube that explains how to do it.
    Saves lots of time in the final fleshing. That's my two cents on the question.....