1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tumble Vs Blow Dry Ducks

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Marvtaxidermy, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Marvtaxidermy

Marvtaxidermy Member

From my previous thread about a tumbler, some prefer blow dry.
    So is the general consensus that better to blow dry than tumble in saw dust or corn cob? Do you just blow the feathers against the grain with a hair dryer on warm?

2. Leonard "Tazman" Qualls

Leonard "Tazman" Qualls New Member

Blow dry alternating hit and cold air, until the small down feathers are dry...even if you tumble. The bird will be nice and puffy.

3. Marvtaxidermy

Marvtaxidermy Member

So what I'm hearing is that after wash and towel roll up you do the blow dry to 90% dry before putting on body and then blow dry to complete dry again after on body? This will make it puffy as desired? A regular hair dryer on warm or cold works?

4. Leonard "Tazman" Qualls

Leonard "Tazman" Qualls New Member

I dry all the way, using a pet dryer.

However, I will use compressed air as well during the mounting process after the body is in. But my bird is dry before I put the body in.

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

If you're serious about taxidermy and birds, invest in a professional "bird blower". They produce warm air in volumes that commercial hairdryers can't match. They are great for long furred animals. Skeet sheep, mountain goats, foxes... fantastic

6. GotHonks

GotHonks Active Member

I use both , depending on the bird ..... The tumbler helps fluff the down , but I don't completely dry the bird in the tumbler , usually it takes some blow drying and compressed air to get the grit out of the feathers ...which is about the only bad part about a tumbler ... Saves a ton of time on geese and turkeys ..

BrookeSFD16 likes this.