1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Blue Spots

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Jwhargro, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Ok I've been tanning hides now for about 3 years. I've gotten the science down with the whole tanning process. I have 2 deer hides that I just got out of the neutralizing stage I hung them up to drip dry before oiling them. After about an hour I come back to wrap hides in towels to dry rest of the way. When I start to take hides down I notice they are both covered with blue dots all over. There is no slippage of hair anywhere. This has never happened to me before and Im scratching my head trying to figure this out. Has anyone else experienced this????

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

What tan?
    Pics?
    It’s hard to answer but if you see no issues and the tan took it could be many variables as in low shaving spots ? Tick bites, etc

3. Im trying to get images uploaded. I use all Mckenzie products. Safety acid and tan. The hides were all white as usual throughout process. I noticed the blue dots while drip drying so I could start applying oil to dry, then stretch. Like I said before no hair slippage either.

4. Anyway I dnt know what else I can do. Im just gonna continue with oiling then stretching. I've done many hides using the same exact process. This is a first for me.

5. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Ok thanks for the pics and from what I’m seeing and it’s just an educated guess here : it looks like it’s over shaved in those areas.
    It looks like some divots in the skin and there very thin looking which is causing the blueish tint look. check those areas next to the whiter spots and see if there is a thickness issue.
    As I’m looking at your whole shaving job it’s not shaved good in some areas and other’s overdone.

6. I didnt shave these down at all. Just fleshed with pressure washer like always. These Whitetails here in south Alabama are thin skinned, so dont need shaving most of the time. I always end up with a very good, soft tanned hide after stretching.

7. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Did you recently change anything? Tanning container, salt?

8. Ok, I just wanted to give an update. The deer hides with blue spots disappeared and they turned out very well. I have no idea what the blue spots were all about. Maybe because it was colder than normal while I was doing the whole process but all is well now. Thanks for any help and concerns.

Frank E. Kotula likes this.