1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Is Wire Wheel Always Necessary?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Marvtaxidermy, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Marvtaxidermy

Marvtaxidermy Member

I've been away from duck taxidermy for 40 yrs and back when we did quite a number of them, the marshes of South Louisiana is the capital of duck and goose hunting, we never heard of wire wheels. Dip in gasoline and after dry rub borax in. I have several in my house that are 40 yrs old and still look perfect. Is this really that needed and on a couple of birds that I've done recently there is no fat to wire wheel off? Maybe they are just very lean. What would you suggest in this case? Thanks!

2. NOAH@aarrkk

[email protected] Active Member

GA
    Now retired, but if I were to take in another duck I WOULD use a wire wheel on it or some other method of breaking up the fat around the quill of the feathers so the grease can get out when you use gas or some other degreaser. Just MY opinion but I think that's what you were asking for.
    Till next time, Jerry

3. whitetails and fish only

whitetails and fish only Well-Known Member

You don't need a wire wheel but you do need to get the fat out of the skin which requires breaking up the membrane in some way and the wire wheel will do a very fast and very good job.

John C likes this.
  4. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

World Master of Masters, Ken Asproth to this day scissors all his waterfowl, even though he has a wheel he never uses it. Anyone would be unlikely to get a bird as clean as his, wheel or otherwise. So you dont need a wheel but like wt& fish said..... you gotta get the fat off somehow

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I agree, a wire wheel is absolutely NOT necessary to remove the fat and membrane to clean a skin as much as possible.

A wire wheel in my opinion, is just a smart way to go. It is faster than any other way I have tried and time is money. Also, my skills at the wire wheel are outstanding compared to my skills with scissors and wire brush.

pir^2h likes this.
  6. GotHonks

GotHonks Active Member

Scissors , Old school and how I started out but rarely anymore as I have a wheel that saves time and lots of sewing ...

pir^2h likes this.
  7. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

My wife had a fit when I used to use mineral spirits. She would be ballistic if I used gas.

I once read that duck fat melts at around 128 degrees. Has anyone tried using water heated to that or a bit higher and how did it work?