1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First Time Red Fox

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Amanda Huntress, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Amanda Huntress

Amanda Huntress New Member

Hello I'm new to tanning and furs I have done a few euro mounts by myself I just recently tried my hand at a red fox I'm not pleased with it when I was fleshing it I ended up scraping to thin and started getting guard hairs and when I was stretching the hide it ripped but when I first started it I wanted it so it could hang on the wall but not as a carpet so I left the head nd feet on but when it dried it got really stiff nd I couldn't flip it back to fur side out I used the brains to do the tanning . So basically I guess I just want to know where I can start that's a lil easier till I can figure it out . Now I'm in Alberta Canada and the taxidermist business is very tight lipped up here so I'm having a hard time finding info and being able to understand what I'm watching cuz right now all I have is you tube nd it's great but I learn better hands on . I'm trying to understand this site but I dont know where to start . Any info would be greatly appreciated

Attached Files:

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

To get it soft you need to break the damp hide until it is dry. This is how it can be done. Dampen the skin side with a damp sponge. Next start pulling and kneading it in all directions with your hands alternating with running the skin side over an axe head, 2X4 or shovel head in a vice until it is dry.

Micah Howards likes this.

3. Amanda Huntress

Oh ok thank you

4. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

You might want to think about getting Jean Roll's video (available at many taxidermy supply companies). She shows everything while mounting a red fox. There are four DVD's in the series that goes from the skinning all the way through mounting.

5. Amanda Huntress

I wonder if I'd be able to find them in a library cuz like I posted earlier this business is VERY tight lipped in Alberta Canada

6. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Very doubtful any library would have videos on taxidermy. If you belong to an association they may have a library where they loan out videos. You are probably going to have to buy it if you want it. Call it a cost of education!

Sidenote: The video does NOT show any tanning.

7. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member