1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Nose Pad Hole Repair For Whitetail Mount..best Way

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by TWYHunt1, Jan 19, 2020.

1. TWYHunt1

TWYHunt1 New Member

Hello everyone. Thanks in advance for advice.

I’m ready to finish my first deer head. When fleshing the nose pad I got too thin in one spot and a small hole was result.

I felt like sculpting something over the hole when finishing would be best route. Let me know if I should have went another route.

The hole is 1/16” x 1/8”. I was thinking that a bit of finishing wax or a bit of glue could be used to hide hole...or do I need the apoxie sculpt that I’ve read of in a few post?

Anyway, I’m looking for the best way. Thank you.

2. Yes use apoxie sculp and roll the dandy noser it you have it, it you dont you can add texture with a heavy grit sandpaper

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Yep, Apoxie Sculpt for sure. Sand paper or a terrycloth towel will work like was said for texturing.

George likes this.
  4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Not that the Dan-D-Noser doesn't work or that some people seem to like it, but that thing is an abomination to texturing a nose. As Tanglewood suggested, I like using a terrycloth towel and then using ModPodge. I know of several people who've made silicone impressions of live (dead) deer noses to add the final touch of realism to the work.

3bears, Frank E. Kotula and Manny81 like this.
  5. TWYHunt1

TWYHunt1 New Member

Thanks so much for the great feedback. I really appreciate.

6. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

George hit it on the nail any of those rollers for deer, fish etc are a gimmick for you novices.
    It’s easy to fill the area with epoxy, texture if you like ( I don’t) then a thin coat of flesh paint, rebuild with modge podge finish my paint work, gloss nose.

George and 3bears like this.