1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Pintail Breast Feather Stains

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Amateur Xavier, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Amateur Xavier

Amateur Xavier New Member

Hello fellow taxidermists!

Question for you professionals. While working on a Pintail, I noticed some stains on the breast feathers while blow drying the bird. I rewashed a few times (Using Dawn, laundry detergent and stain remover), letting the bird sit in each trying both warm and cold water and nothing seems to have lifted the stains. They almost look like the pattern from the flank feathers has spread onto them. Is this possible or is it some form of stain? Should I try to remove the stain? If so, what would you recommend I do to try removing them?

Pic is of the stain. image0.jpeg

All help is appreciated!

2. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

Those are iron stains. It’s very common on pintail and snow geese. If you want it gone try iron out. I use the liquid and just apply some to the area and then rinse and get the stuff off the feathers . It does a good job. Otherwise just leave the stains. I usually apply and once the stains are gone I rinse and rewash and rinse again.
    Jim

3. Leonard "Tazman" Qualls

Leonard "Tazman" Qualls New Member

Its mineral burn.
    Use Winks Rust Remover on wet feathers, and do the bath process again.
    Dont get it on your skin.

4. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

Yep what they said. After I do my final wash and rinse, I squirt some on the feathers when the bird is still soaking wet. The stains instantly disappear. I then run it through another couple really good rinses. Get it at WalMart in the grocery dept.

[​IMG]

5. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

x-3 on the Whink's...it's magical in removing rust stains!

6. GotHonks

GotHonks Active Member

I like Stain Away , just a little on a pc or cotton and while the feathers and the stains disappear .... Works unbelievably well and is super simple ....

7. Thanks guys. Wish I would have had this info before mounting my last Pintail.