1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Thread

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by bearpawbeetleworks, Jan 20, 2020.

1. bearpawbeetleworks

bearpawbeetleworks New Member

Reading that a lot of you are using fireline to sow capes, then I read on fishing forums that it rots on reels after two years? Anyone have suggestions for thread that works the best and doesn't degrade over time? Or is that fireline? thanks!

2. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Spiderwire braided. The only color I can get is green. Longevity? I never questioned it. In reality, once a deer has been mounted a couple of years, the sutures could be cut, and the skin isn't going anywhere.

3. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

I use the waxed thread sold by the supply companies.

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Cotton has a shorter lifespan than my indigestion. Fireline will last just as long as your mount lasts. On a fishing reel it's exposed to constant flexing and that's the cause of deterioration. I hated Spiderwire because it was much like something else of mine. Fireline is much easier to thread and unthread than anything I ever used.

5. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Been using Fireline for yrs and no degradation. Plus I use 6lb test /2lb diameter single strand. I need nothing more and yes it goes on bear, moose elk etc.

6. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

ghg has a thin decoy cord that works great... 5" S needle you cant break this stuff

Attached Files: