1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Macerate Goose Skull?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Tnrandy, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Tnrandy

Tnrandy Member

Someone contacted us wanting us to clean a goose skull. Anyone ever macerated one and whitened it? Any tips suggestions?
    Thanks

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Very easy to do. There will be some parts that come loose and you will have to glue them. Not too complicated and there should be references online that you can Google. After three days macerating, pull off the outer beak sheaths upper and lower (wear gloves). Put them in alcohol with some water added and keep them that way until the skull is finished. You can then glue these parts back on if the customer wants.

3. Tnrandy

Tnrandy Member

ok thanks

4. HondaXR250

HondaXR250 Active Member

Ohio
    Ive wondered if when macerating duck and geese skulls if you will lose all those little teeth? I macerated a channel catfish skull, and while i was straining the parts, i seen all these dinky white things. After looking closer, i was like OMG i forgot about the teeth! So they got pitched

5. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

On birds, all those little teeth are actually part of the bill itself. The bill sheath will slide right off in one piece and you can glue it back on later.

Tnrandy and HondaXR250 like this.
  6. HondaXR250

HondaXR250 Active Member

Ohio
    I guess the skin on the bills threw me off. I was thinking the teeth would be connected and held in place by the skin. Good to know the teeth wont be lost!