1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Pike Head Problem

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Mike Morrow, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Mike Morrow

Mike Morrow New Member

Hi everyone,
    On a pike head, I know you need to remove the cheek meat, but what about the meat under the tongue? Also, I always seem to get a lot of shrinkage on the side of the head right behind the gill plate. I soak them in DN alcohol, and also sprinkle some borax inside before I mount it up. I know most of you use fake heads, but id like to be able to use the real one if I can. Thank you!!!

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

I totally cut the jaw line sides and remove all that meat and fill with papier-mâché.
    Besides that I remove as most meat as I can get to and rebuild when dry.

socalmountainman likes this.

3. Mike Morrow

Mike Morrow New Member

Ok, that's what I have been doing, but it is a lot of rebuilding. And that part under the tongue has a ton of meat in it, but if you cut it out it leaves a huge area to rebuild, all the way down to the throat latch. Thank you for your reply.

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I remove the heads and remove all of the meat under the tongue and in the jaws from underneath. Doing it how I do there isn't any areas with much if any meat left. I guess I don't notice much difference in amount of rebuild as any other fish, just typically bigger.

5. Mike Morrow

Mike Morrow New Member

Thank you 3bears, I guess I am on the right track. Pike are the hardest for me. I'd rather take the time rebuilding then have grease bleed down the road!

6. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    You are welcome and I feel the same way and that is why I figured out a way to help prevent that.
    I have a pike in the shop for repairs, I did about 10 years ago, because it was knocked off the wall. There is no sign of grease bleed. That makes me happy because it was one of the first I did with the methods that I use today.

7. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Now you understand why we like a repro

8. Mike Morrow

Mike Morrow New Member

Yeah I can see using a fake head, but im not sure how I feel about a repro, ive never done one before. I don't know... I like the skin mounts because I like knowing, that's my fish on the wall. I'd like to try one though. Thanks again for all your input. I started doing fish taxidermy 3 years ago for a hobby. Now I am doing a few here and there for extra cash. Its very enjoyable and rewarding. Ill be working on a fish and next thing I know, several hours have gone by! haha

drob likes this.
  9. 1stturkey

1stturkey Member

it's a pain but casting the head is another option as well. There was a good article in Breakthrough a few years ago on the technique.

10. Mike Morrow

Mike Morrow New Member

Yeah, I may try that one day, but right now I think that is over my head!!!

11. Lance.G

Lance.G Well-Known Member

If you have the skill to rebuild a pike head and pull it off. You can handle molding and casting. Just different, but not over your head.