1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Relaxer Question (pro 1?)

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by 8Point, Jan 20, 2020.

1. 8Point

8Point Member

A few years back I bought a gallon of Pro 1 relaxer. It worked extremely well. I ordered a gallon over the phone a few weeks back, but this stuff doesn't seem to perform the same. The stuff that I just got is also from Pro 1 and is a "Relaxer/Degreaser". The original stuff I used seemed to "curdle" up in the water prior to mixing. This new stuff doesn't do that. It appears to be more of a soapy liquid. It does a good job of cleaning and degreasing but doesn't seem to do as good of a job of "relaxing" the hide as the old stuff. Do they not make the old stuff anymore? I feel like the old stuff was more of a relaxing agent than a degreasing agent.... if they don't make that anymore what do you folks recommend? I feel like I got a lot of stretch out of the older stuff compared to the newer stuff is why I ask...

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Call pro 1up and talk to Paul , the owner, great guy and will answer all your concerns

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Try Enzol-B for your skins. Way better than Pro1 but it’s a harsher product and if your skins have issues it may bring it out. I use it a lot and I’ll agree he’s product line changed as you’ve seen not sure why but still has a good line of stuff.

4. Frank,don't want to invade someone else's post-but I am very curious as to the uses of enzol-B.Can it be used in the pickle to add stretch etc. to deer capes?

5. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

No the pickle kills the enzymes in Enzol-B and stops the process .
    If your looking for stretch nothing added to a pickle will help.
    To get stretch you need to have a properly shaved hide, and not just a good tan but a good oiling aids in a good stretch. Plus your deer has to be in rut also that will give you more to a cape. You can’t get a good stretch in an summer to an early archery deer. It’s not in the skin and stretch may only be a 1/2” to where a rut deer or post rut I can get 1-3”

6. thankyou!

Frank E. Kotula likes this.