1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wet Look Gloss

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Pikeonthefly, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Pikeonthefly

Pikeonthefly Active Member

$13.00 for the can. $17.00 shipping??? Any equivalents that can be purchased in your own home town like Home Depot/Lowes/Sherwin Williams?

2. jrandall71

jrandall71 Member

Sherwin carries a laquer clear with catalyst added for cabinets and also two part urethane automotive clear.

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Home Depot Lowe’s many water or lacquer base gloss

4. WLELTD

WLELTD Active Member

what is a good water base clear?

5. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Try envirotex
    Mix part A&B paint on and heat with hot hair dryer to remove bubbles and smooth out, only take a little bit

6. Pikeonthefly

Thank you everyone for the help! Would the Envirotex work on a pedestal mount? I have used that material before on clocks and had to sand the edges due to runs etc.

7. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

It will work on a pedestal I've used it before. You just have to stay with it and watch for drips and sags. I use a small brush to catch drips and smooth them out .
    Tommy

8. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Nothing I have ever used compares to the gloss of Envirotex. We use a lot of it. Buy some cheap disposable "chip brushes" to apply it. After glossing, turn off the lights, and take a flashlight to search for any loose bristles that may be on the fish. As said earlier, check you specimen every hour til it sets, smoothing out any drips. It also works great on CAMO skulls. It provides a durable protective finish.

15pt likes this.
  9. Clew

York, SC
    Put the heat to it

joeym likes this.
  10. slabbandit

slabbandit Member

I use the 2 part automotive clear coat mixed 4 to 1. It is more expensive but it sure keeps a good wet look. I used to get bubbles that I would remove with a blow dryer an a small needle until I started adding a little thinner and retarder when mixing. Now bubbles can escape before gloss hardens.

Cecil likes this.
  11. joeym

One other thing about Envirotex...it will not melt your paint job away. I've used glosses in the past that destroyed my paint job. I know Envirotex is messy, it probably should not be used on competition pieces, but for "get 'er done" commercial work, it's the best gloss I've ever used.

swampfox2 likes this.
  12. 15pt

15pt Member

Alabama
    This 100 percent.

13. Clew

York, SC
    I buy two part clear coat from a place in Florida lot cheaper than envirotex
    Actually used for bar top coating
    Only issue must be min of 70 deg

14. slabbandit

slabbandit Member

I agree, 70 degree min temp needed.

15. joeym

Is it the same product? What is your source and price? I get the gallon kits off eBay (1/2 gallon of each A & B) for around $85 shipped. Thanks

16. Clew

York, SC
    Joey
    Look at US Composites
    They have all kinds of stuff

17. Pikeonthefly

Many thanks to everyone would replied. I am going to try every method mentioned. I really appreciate your help. Thank you!