1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Coyote Pelt Issue

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Whitelightnin, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Whitelightnin

Whitelightnin New Member

Hey guys Im in the process of tanning a coyote pelt. I have followed the Mckenzies tanning system all the way. I used the degreaser in the pickle and then I used the brush on tan and let it soak up nicely. Afterwards I used the leather oil on the pelt to let it soak in. However I did mess up and not read the label. I poured the oil on the pelt and rubbed it in like the tanning oil not knowing it was meant to be mixed with water. Now the center of the pelt all the way up doesn’t seem to be drying out. Im sure it will take a long time to dry with the extra oil in it but how long? Its been hanging up for weeks with no luck. It doesn’t seem to be decomposing at all but it definitely is not dry. Has anyone else made this mistake before? Any help would be greatly appreciated. It is just a wall hanger pelt for myself so If it is ruined its not the end of the world but I would love to save it. Thanks guys.

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Not ruined but over oiled and will take more time.
    Have you’ve tried pulling on the skin to stretch the fibers ?
    Next have tried breaking the hide?
    Last have you put a fan on it?

3. Whitelightnin

Whitelightnin New Member

The arms, legs and face are completely dry. They stretch and turn white so im assuming the fibers are breaking correctly. The center from the base of the tail up to the back of the head which I know is thicker hide just isnt drying quickly. I have put a fan on it. Hung it out in my shop and outside where the sun and wind can work on it. I have worked it over the back of a chair and stretched it many times. If it is drying it is going slow as molasses. I know its my own fool fault but if the arms, legs and face are dry im assuming the rest will eventually dry.

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

When this happened to me (over oiled), I put a little degreaser into some sawdust, mixed it up and tumbled for a while. You do it in a garbage bag if don't have a tumbler.

5. Whitelightnin

Whitelightnin New Member

T
    Thanks. Ill give that a shot!