1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

2020 Pennsylvania Taxidermy Convention

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Vince Spellane, Jan 26, 2020.

1. JoinUs.png JoinUs.png

Attached Files:

2. I tried the attached files wouldn't work for me

3. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

They worked for me just now.

:)

Kerby...

4. Joe Kish

Joe Kish Well-Known Member

Texas
    If I pay $100 or $130 to register for the complete convention, why would I have to pay another $250 to attend the whitetail mounting hands on class which doesn't even include skinning, earmaking, or finishing?

What's so special about a $250 class that has been shown multiple times in dozens of conventions over the years and which can be seen in lots of videos for only $20 bucks listed in the back of taxi magazines? I presume that all those 250 dollar fees are going straight into the PTA treasury because the three guys teaching the class are all suppliers who are benefiting by promoting and selling their forms and supplies to those beginners who take that class, whom the PTA has brought together through its convention.

How exactly does the PTA benefit by giving away it's forum to special interests?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    buckmasters243 likes this.
  5. I can see the dates but no schedule

6. Schedule 2.png

Kerby Ross likes this.
  7. Mr. Kish,

VHS, DVD’s, and now YouTube and Facebook live are all great learning tools, but you know as well as I do, none of that compares to hands on training. There are incredible seminars that you get to attend for your convention registration. Paying 250$ for 3 top notch instructors, mounting a commercial deer with you, with a cape and antlers you provide is priceless to me. I attended this same seminar in 2011, and Hilton and his crew, including Cary spent the entire day, 8am until I walked out at 11pm, because I was a DVD “student” up until that point, and I was unable to ask the DVD questions.....Mr. Kish, is there really State Conventions that offer hands on, day long training for free..? I haven’t attended any other State conventions, so I am a little “naive” about other States seminars. You should join us Mr. Kish, it’s the last year at this location, it’s going to be fun...

Lance.G and Kerby Ross like this.
  8. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Where is it moving to , im not a fan of the ski resort and is one reason I don’t attend anymore, in the middle of no where nothing close for dinner and very expensive to eat there , its a great convention, great people and the banquet was nice .

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    George likes this.
  9. Joe Kish

Joe Kish Well-Known Member

Texas
    Bob,

Thanks for the invitation. Trade shows usually are fun but it’s too far for me. Just the same, no one has answered my question - How exactly does the PTA benefit by giving away its forum to special interests? Before I’d be tempted to attend, there are a lot of questions I would want to know the answer to. It will cost you most of a thousand dollars to attend that convention if you take that pricey class. And you don’t know what you will get for your money before you’ve committed your cash – which may or may not be refundable.

Notwithstanding the credentials of the instructors, their knowledge is not a rare commodity. Their skills are not a rare commodity. The availability of classes on mounting deer heads are common. Magazine articles have beaten that subject to death for decades. The fact is a workshop of this sort within a state convention is a growing trend whereby “world champions” and supplier world champions are selling the sizzle of their notoriety while the steak, that is the content of their classes, is priced way out of proportion to its availability. It’s the equivalent of price gouging unintentional or not. If cost is important to you, ask around at the convention for the names of PA taxidermists who have won many ribbons with deer heads and make them an offer to teach you one on one for 8 hours. Chances are good there’s one within driving distance near you. If cost is no object and you think it’s worth the money, how could I object?

George likes this.
  11. We will be moving to The Kovalchick center on the campus of IUP, in the town of Indiana, PA. For the 2021 convention....

13 point likes this.
  12. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

I'll answer your question Joe, They do it that way because its their show and they'll run it how ever they want to.

13. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Jerry, now be fair. I know you and Joe don't share breakfast, but his question was quite valid. I have always had an issue where someone uses a seminar as an advertising/money making gesture. I saw it at the nationals where an "expert" held a seminar but you needed to buy his manikins and supplies to get "your" mount to look as good as his. We both know that suppliers use such trips as a tax write-off and many of us do. As 13 point stated, you have to go someplace else before you get to 7 Springs and once you find it, there's a long way back to where you came from. I loved the venue and the people there, but I stayed 30 miles away simply to have some choice in dining and entertainment. Taxidermists simply aren't, by nature, ski bunnies. I'm sure the class will be filled and everyone will proclaim its value, but many people just can't afford all that education.