1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What Causes This On A Repro?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Brad Hendrickson, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Brad Hendrickson

Brad Hendrickson Active Member

What Causes all the little pock marks in the scale? Or is this normal after antiquing?

0E88C8DD-3241-42AF-9555-1DF056DAE543.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  2. fishmaster

fishmaster Well-Known Member

Brad, This is normal. Fish do not have smooth scales, especially warm water large scaled fish. The replica simply picks up the detail that is there.

John C likes this.

3. Brad Hendrickson

Ok.. thanks.. Thats a Crappie I molded and was wondering if I did something HORRBIBBLY wrong..

I guess I did know that.. lol Icthyology Class 20 years ago...

4. Did you use diluted lacquer 80% thinner to 20% paint to seal the real fish before molding? This may help you stop this.

5. Brad Hendrickson

Nope. I did not. I read conflicting answers on that. Seal fish. Don’t seal fish. So wth do I know. I’m just a fart in the wind right now lol. Maybe I’ll give that a try. Can u just spray say a matte finish on it ( rattle can) after it’s dried. Or gloss or whatever in a rattle can.

6. h20halo

h20halo New Member

Brad, what molding method did you use and what mold material? Just curious. I think the different marks on the scale will help give the paint job depth.

7. Brad Hendrickson

Bondo resin method...

8. Pikeonthefly

Pikeonthefly Active Member

I like that effect. I think that would give your paint job some depth.

9. I think you can get it painted up and seal the colors with a rattle can gloss. This will set the colors. then hit a couple medium coats of a two part gloss wait about 30 minutes and give it a nice even heavy coat of two part gloss. Yes I have ran into that on some repros, this is what I do.