1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Scalpel Blades

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by HondaXR250, Jan 28, 2020.

1. HondaXR250

HondaXR250 Active Member

Ohio
    Does anyone have any 60XT, or any other blades to get rid of? Thanks!

2. mikeblake

mikeblake Member

look up ,"Havel" they send right to your door

HondaXR250 and 3bears like this.

3. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Just bought 200 #22 for $29.65 on Amazon

HondaXR250 likes this.
  4. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

I purchased the same knife using 60TX blades hoping a127TX blade may work for fishing. As for a scalpel knifes, I found helping hands fleshing tool to be really nice. Much better blades and that hold up longer and can be much cheaper to use, purchase multiply blades from Menards and Home Depot, (carpet knife blades).

HondaXR250 likes this.
  5. HondaXR250

HondaXR250 Active Member

Ohio
    Ill have to keep my options in mind. I tried looking at Havel's website, and there was no pricing. I could always order some from amazon or ebay too. I was just kind of hoping someone had ones laying around that they didnt use or like the style of. I mostly only use my scalpel for skinning small areas, down legs, tail butts, feet. Sometimes i switch to my xacto knife for around toes, but the blades dull very quickly. I tried looking up the helping hands fleshing tool, but it doesnt look like it would work well for me. I use straight edged razor blades for fleshing. Hurts the hands badly, but without anything attached to the blade, im able to manipulate it better. Im afraid if i had a "handle" on it, id probably keep snagging the corners of the blade in the skin.

6. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

You can call Havel's and they will tell you the prices. Excellent customer service. I buy all my blades from them...usually 500 at a time.

HondaXR250 likes this.
  7. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

At the risk of sounding like a cheap-skate or penny pinching tight-wad, I have found I can extend the life of the average blade 2-3 Xs by running them periodically across my ceramic rod. Keeps them nice and sharp much, much longer.

HondaXR250 and pir^2h like this.
  8. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Hey, if it works and only takes a couple of seconds, go for it. It would take longer to change the blade. I don't have so much trouble with the middle of the blade as the tips. Do it work there also? Where do you get a ceramic rod?