1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Spotted Critter clay?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by RoyalOaksRanch, Aug 15, 2007.

1. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

I just got a brand new box of critter clay and I opened it up to find the whole block of clay has these weird greenish brown spots all over it.. The plastic bag was nice and sucked up to the clay and no rips in it or anything that would indicate something got INTO the box..
    Its not fuzzy like mold, which was my immediate thought, but Ive never had critter clay mold and actualy didnt think it would LOL. but it sure as heck is strange.. I called the supplier to ask them if it was a new formula or maybe something else.. I wanted to make sure it wasnt something bad before I used it... They adviced not to use it since they arent sure what it is.. Apparently all the techs were gone home for the day so the lady just said theyd are sending me a new one (that they will check) so no big there. But has anyone ever gotten clay that was like this? It doesnt smell moldy, more like a chemical smell.. And when you touc the spots thru the plastic they dont feel soft like mold its more like an actual lump of something...Makes me wonder if maybe it just wasnt mixed up good enough when they made the batch? Or maybe something contaminated the batch?

I tell you this order was a doosey from the get go.. It arrived with my coyote forms legs all broke up, because they put the gallon of hide paste, 2- 5 lb blocks of clay, AND 4 lb tubs of apoxie scuplt in the same box as the form.. The Apoxie scuplt became one with the sides of the box and on the outsides of the other items, somehow missing most of the form, and now the critter clay is spotted LOL.... EEKKK This is NOT my week for orders...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. The last 2 boxes I used had that. I used it anyhow. Not sure what it is.

3. Same here. I thought it was small holes all in it. I don't think it was mold.

4. Have had the same thing. It is evidently some sort of mold/mildew/fungus. Doesn't effect the clay. I sprayed mine with a little lysol and water just in case. Havent had any problems from it.

5. mcole

mcole New Member

Same here got a new box in last week. I too thought it was mold but it appears to be some type of additive in the clay???

6. shaneb

shaneb New Member

my last two boxes were like that too, i havent had any problems with it

7. jkidd

jkidd New Member

I just opened a box I got a couple of weeks ago. It looks the same as what you have in your picture. Not sure what it is?

8. RoyalOaksRanch

INteresting.. So noone has noticed any side affects from using it? Any cracking, shrinking or whatever ?
    And if you dont mind saying... you can PM ... Who did you order the clay from? Curious if its a supplier issue or a manufacturing issue.. And besides I just plain want to know what the heck it is LOL.. I cant imagine it being a supplier issue since well... its all prepackaged... But who knows..
    The lady I spoke with said she would check to see if anyone else had the same issue..

9. Shannon

Shannon New Member

I got a box that was spotted also. I did'nt like it. It seemed drier than the non spotted critter clay. It also seemed to dry out quicker than the non spotted critter clay while sculpting eyes. I still have some, but only use it to build up around the skull plates of deer mounts. Can't wait to get rid of the junk. Too expensive to throw out . I use regular critter clay for my eye work and ear butts. I hope I don't recieve another batch of the spotted stuff. Sent you a PM.

10. Matt

Matt Active Member

I have had it too in a couple boxes, I put alittle lysol in it and it slowly disappeared. I would assume it is a mold or fungus as the lysol took care of it.

11. duckfeathers

duckfeathers New Member

We have used seven 5 lb boxes from 2007. Every one had this growth. Boxes from both McKensie and Research. Seems to disappear as soon as you use it. Doesn't reappear after it drys. We have used critter clay for years and have never seen this growth before. This forum really does keep you informed. Thanks.

12. RoyalOaksRanch

Well Im guessing then that its a manufacturer thing cuz the few of you that sent me the name of the supplier are different than where I ordered from. Looks like 3 different suppliers so far...so its not something that happened at the suppliers end..

Its odd but this batch is actually softer than the batch with no spots..Yes I had to poke it LOL.. Maybe tomorrow Ill break the brick and see if the spots are inside as well.... I actually kind of liked how soft it is.. More like a potters clay than the usual critter clay.

13. blacktail

blacktail New Member

Just bought a box and the is no spotting. I got mine from research in Oregon.

14. RoyalOaksRanch

I dug off some of the clay and the spots are only on the outside. And after looking really closely it appears to be like a fungus.. Sort of like a mushroom.. Like those rubbery types you find on trees.. Ok weird description but its about as close as I could get LOL.. Its not fuzzy like mold It doesnt wipe off like you can do with fuzzy mold.

15. Mark V.

Mark V. Chinook Salmon replica

I get mine direct from manufacturer.In fact I drive over to get it. I have had some on the base colored clay but I usually buy the white and have never seen any on it. It probably is mold but I see no ill effects in using it. Aves has always been good about helping you out if you have any problems with their products so I would contact them if you have problems. ,Mark V.

16. jamredskins

jamredskins New Member

yep mine had the same spots!

17. B KENNEDY

B KENNEDY “THE YOUNG GUN”

OHIO
    Its mold I called the company I get my stuff through and they gave me the number to call them direct and the only suggestions they gave me was vacuum-pack it and spray bleach on it. Of course this has been almost a year ago and it was about the third box in a row I got that way. Little bleach helps and have not had and bad effects on a mount.

18. mt

mt New Member

I to had the same thing happen , but only after i opened the plastic wrapper. I think it is just a matter of getting a little dried out , I am going to us mine , dont think any problems are going to happen .mt

19. RoyalOaksRanch

Well Just lovely.. I called the supplier and asked them to find out what is on the clay... This was before I asked here to find out if it was a supplier or manufacturer issue.. Well the supplier said they would send me out a new box- they did... it arrived today. Guess what?? Its covered in spots too.. I swear it reminds me of mushrooms..
    Thing that makes me mad is the supplier said they would check the box before they shipped it to make sure it wasnt spotted... So much for THAT... I think they just sent out the replacement and that was it...
    UGH..... So now I have TWO bricks of fungus clay ... :mad:

Kennedy How much bleach did you use? And how long does it have to sit in the vaccuum sealed bag? I have some stuff I need to use the clay on...

20. jkidd

jkidd New Member

I called the folks I bought mine from. They weren't sure what it was but were kind enough to send me another brick. I just got it and it was clean. No fungus on this brick.