1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fish Paint Schedule

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Travis taxidermy, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Travis taxidermy

Travis taxidermy New Member

Do reproduction and skin mount fish have the same paint schedule? Can you use a reproduction schedule on a skin mounted fish and vise versa?

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Yes the only difference is
    skin vs repro = making the repro to look like a dead fish ( hence antiquing) then paint like a normal fish
    Now some folks like to white out there fish (skin mount) and then paint as a white background gives you brighter colors as for me I like a dark background and work to light .
    You can use any paint schedule for ski or plastic and end up with a fish that no one can tell the difference if done correctly

Micah Howards likes this.

3. Travis taxidermy

Travis taxidermy New Member

Frank, thank you for the help. It’s great to get information from well seasoned taxidermist.

Mike Powell and Frank E. Kotula like this.
  4. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Did he just call Frank “old”???

socalmountainman likes this.
  5. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Lol maybe at least not a curmudgeon

6. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

I actually do antique over the white! It helps bring out the scale detail when you go back to tip the scales. I use regular white primer, then give it a seal coat of clear to lock down the powdery "talc" feeling of the primer. Depending on the fish, I use Detail Scale Black or Green (Polytranspar) and #0000 steel wool just like on a repro. 27.jpg

Attached Files:

• 26.jpg
      26.jpg
      File size:
      1.9 MB
      Views:
    Frank E. Kotula likes this.