1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What Is Fair Market Value For This Mount?

Discussion in 'Buyers and Sellers' started by Vulpes Vulpes, Jan 29, 2020.

1. I'm just curious what i could get for a couple life-size mounts. I need a way to fund my taxidermy hobby and wouldn't be opposed to selling one or two mounts every now and then.
    Mine aren't perfect. What would a professional mount sell for?

Life-size red fox with base
    Life size raccoon with base (base IMG_4333.JPG IMG_4155.JPG not pictured)

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

It is worth whatever you can get for it , not trying to be a chit head , but it’s true . I would take total material cost and triple it to start . As you get better raise the cost , if it don’t sell lower it , just don’t get caught up in selling it for less then your cost , if there’s not a market for it , it won’t sell or they may not like your work. I’ve seen great mounts never sell for what they are worth and crappy mounts sell for 3 times what there worth . So a lot of factors go into what a mount will sell for , the last Fox I sold went for $550 but I charge $875 with just a basic habitat . Any cheaper then that and ida lost money. Goodluck

Micah Howards and Vulpes Vulpes like this.

3. old60furs

old60furs MO buyers license number is 2465. I need your #

13 point had great advice. I sell lots and lots of whole animals and skins to taxidermists. They have all started out trying to figure out their business and honing their skills and some have become amazing taxidermists. I do not think a beginning taxidermist is going to make any money on a finished mount unless they are super gifted or have just finished a $15,000 taxidermy school.

You have a lot of talent and definitely the perfect attitude and outlook. Keep your eyes on your dreams. Ask lots of questions and you will have all the best taxi gurus in the country providing you assistance.

Keep up your efforts!

Marc

Jfreeman and Vulpes Vulpes like this.
  4. Here are the two most recent creations. the gray fox incorporated lessons learned from the rd fox and coon 77A0B5B7-F044-4150-9C96-009F8A864581.jpeg 9C846493-FF5B-467F-B92D-B3C7F0B6B6AE.jpeg

old60furs likes this.