1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

1/4" Chisel

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by drwalleye, Jan 30, 2020.

1. drwalleye

drwalleye Member

A while back George mentioned using a 1/4" chisel to take the skin off from around the antler burr. it sounded good. I just bought one and tried it on a euro I was doing. It seemed like when I went under and tried to do it as George said I felt like I was cutting the hairs off up in by the burr. Has anyone else tried this?

2. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

I generally use a short knife with the curved blade, but on tougher hides I do use the chisel. I always get it started with a knife to ensure I am getting it all the way up to the burr. Then proceed to bump and pry with the chisel making sure to angle upward toward the burr. Take care not to cut into the skin at all but press the chisel between the skin and bone and pry it lose.

msestak likes this.

3. BO-N-ARO

BO-N-ARO Hunt hard but hunt safe!

You should be sliding it between the hide and under the burr from the side not close to any hair. ???

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
  4. tem

tem Well-Known Member

after i get it started i take chanel locks and turn it up side down so the fat part is laying on the skin. i grab the hide and roll it pack on the hump side of the chanel locks. it peels right off. i hope i explaned it good.

Keith and Jackson1814 like this.
  5. clovis67

clovis67 New Member

try using a short flat head screwdriver approx 6-7” in length and a short hammer... works like a charm!

6. WLELTD

WLELTD Active Member

yes I use one rock it back and forth as you go usually does not cut that way

7. WLELTD

WLELTD Active Member

yes I use one rock it back and forth as you go usually does not cut that way

8. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

This X 100

9. BowDeadly

BowDeadly "LIFE IS GREAT" It's better with a bow

Saw a taxidermist in Exton PA. use a screwdriver 35 years ago. I have used one ever since. To easy to try any other way.

10. I have used the 1/4 inch chisel for 40 years. Never saw the need to go back. Sometimes you may need to rock the chisel side to side. I have one I never have sharpened too. Still works, the handle stripped so I had to buy a new one.