1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bondo Removal

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by bearpawbeetleworks, Jan 31, 2020.

1. bearpawbeetleworks

bearpawbeetleworks New Member

I have an antelope skull that the horns were attached back on with Bondo. Will acetone soak loosen up the Bondo enough to pull the horns off? Any other ideas? Thanks

2. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Once cured, I do not believe acetone will have much of an affect. If removing the horn cover is absolutely necessary, I would cut it up the back of the horn with a Drexel tool, cut the Bondo loose and remove the sheaths. Then repair with apoxy sculpt and paint when replacing them.

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Mike’s right it’s almost impossible to remove them once they were set in the bondo.
    Sheaths being hair and the bone being pretty porous will bond the two together.

4. You might try boiling hot water before cutting the horn. Bring water to a boil, remove from burner. Place horns in water completely submerging for 5 - 10 minutes. It shouldn't hurt the horns other than making them a little soft, but once dry they will be back to normal. This worked for me once with steer horns.

5. jimss

jimss Active Member

I would be curious why you want to remove the horns? That may help to figure out a solution?

Tanglewood Taxidermy likes this.