1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Who Makes The Best Javelina Manakin For A Beginner?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by bigbrowns, Jan 31, 2020.

1. bigbrowns

bigbrowns New Member

I have 6 Javelina that need to be completed. Who makes the best manakin for a beginner taxidermist? I will need several closed mouth and open mouth shoulder forms.

Thanks,
    Adam

2. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Easy is relative. And there is not much about the form itself that will make one “easier” over another. What may be easy for one may not be easy for you. Much depends on your level of experience and what you feel comfortable with. The only areas of difference would be in the open mouth forms - preset, pre-painted jaws versus you installing the jaw sets. Most of the main suppliers offer several options. Accepting six javelina without having done one presents a challenge. If you have any doubt, start by purchasing two forms to begin with - one open moth and one closed - and see how they work.

Sleepyhollow likes this.

3. Probably McKenzie unless Jetts has one. Best detail, you just need to sand the frm and enhance the details they give you.

4. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I use Second-2-Nature javalina mannikins. Never had an issue or a complaint. Detail? John C. on a hairy peccary? He's just a little pig!

5. bigbrowns

bigbrowns New Member

Great info! I probably should have stated this earlier. I only accepted the 6 Javelina so I could start learning the art of Taxidermy. I'm not charging anyone! The owners of the Javelina will either get a great looking mount or something from another planet. Either way, it will be a good conversation starter. Worst case scenario it will be term for divorce:)

6. bigbrowns

bigbrowns New Member

Do you prefer replacing the nose on the form with an artificial nose?

7. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

If you are just starting out, use the real nose. At least those little stinkers don’t have a shield like a hog.

ARUsher likes this.
  8. Live2Hunt

Live2Hunt Member

IMG_2183.JPG I have a closed mouth rt. turn mold and several left and right open mouth molds also. They are anatomically correct. [email protected]

Attached Files: