1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

New To Taxidermy Looking For Criticism

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Csaszar Scott, Feb 2, 2020.

1. I’ve done my research and lots of reading and videos and attempted my first two ducks. First was a tackle at a dead mount black duck and second was a standing gadwall any input would be fantastic!

Attached Files:

benp and Wildthings like this.
  2. benp

benp Member

Done good for starting out.
    The dead mount I see you could improve on the next one by adjusting some lines. Think of the force of gravity pulling on the bird, this make the head and neck line up vertically to the foot the bird is being hung from.

The lower wing is pretty good and showing it is shot and broken and free hanging. The upper wing is too far out. Think of what happens when the muscles are relaxed and start to stiffen. They pull to the body so that wing should stay close to the body.

3. Thank you very much for the help! Iam gonna keep at it and I’ll definitely take your input onto my next

4. whitetails and fish only

whitetails and fish only Well-Known Member

Standing birds normally have most of their wings tucked into their side pockets. A lot of the time the wing is barely visible.

Csaszar Scott likes this.
  5. Ok thanks I’ll have to look further into the side pocket this was my first attempt at a standing bird and I did have difficulty getting wings in place.

6. GotHonks

GotHonks Well-Known Member

Keep at it , they're pretty dang good ... can't speak for anyone but myself and being self taught from books .... I made the same mistake's when I first started out heck still do once in a while cuz I'm far from perfect .... Take the info you gain and apply it to your next , the more birds you mount the better you'll get ... Most important process of the entire mount IMO is starting with a clean oil free skin ..... Get your skins clean and ... they fluff and dry very easy ..... You'll have a much easier time tracking feathers ....the rest will come with time and practice ... I mounted 20 Ring Necks in my first yr learning ....
    Stay with it ... Your well on your way

Csaszar Scott and Micah Howards like this.
  7. Thank you very much for the positive message only on my third bird and iam so addicted going after another black duck this weekend thanks again!

Micah Howards likes this.
  8. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

Something else that will help the look on the gadwall: right below the white ring on the neck, from the back reach down and grab the back skin/neck skin and slide it up the neck from the back and from the front. The cape area is stuck way down that fold area and should be up and on top. That would probably help a lot with setting those wings by causing the wing pockets to move up a little

Csaszar Scott and 3bears like this.
  9. Thank you very much I’ll give that a shot tonight thanks for the help.

10. GotHonks

GotHonks Well-Known Member

Man I wish this forum were around when I first started taxidermy .. I think it's pretty great to have this forum to get feedback and tips from some true professionals ... When I first started out there wasn't much in the way of internet help and the few taxidermist around my town wouldn't help me at all so I basically had to figure it out on my own .. You folks are great !

11. X Two on what GotHonks says. Been there. Stick with it. if you have the passion for it, you will conquer.

12. Thank you iam stuck iam at work everyday thinking about the next and reading more and this forum is great and thanks to you all for the input can’t wait for Saturday lol

Wildthings likes this.
  13. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

many budding bird Taxidermist make those simple mistakes. Not getting the feathers very clean and fully rinsed and or not getting the down fully dry. Taxiing the skin forward as suggested will also help a lot. One last thing , don’t use an over sized body. Either the same size as came out or even just slightly small. Just slightly. Those skins stretch a lot as you degrease and wash. That’s where taxiing pays off.
    Get that black duck done!

Csaszar Scott likes this.
  14. Thank you so much for the advice very much appreciate it up at 430am on a sat diving in waited all week for this morning to get back at it! Thanks again

15. KLFL

KLFL Active Member

Looks better then most professional taxidermists doing work

Also I’m right in egg harbor city NJ.

16. Wow thank you very much no kidding iam in laureldale be great to get your input or even some pointers

17. Well I attempted a huge black duck that had a bad right side wing and a flying bufflehead pictures just don’t do them justice for my third and fourth birds iam loving it

Attached Files:

18. Yep. You got the fever!!!

Bruce M, Wildthings and Csaszar Scott like this.
  19. Bruce M

Bruce M Member

Great work. What books do you use for learning? I'm looking for a couple.

20. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

For me, a good DVD beats a book a thousand fold and several DVDs beats one DVD a hundred fold.

Having said that, there are a couple of Breakthrough bird manuals that are worth looking into. Some of the content is a little dated, however, it will work. I got the bird manual that mainly deals with ducks, although upland game birds are also covered. The other manual I have covers upland game birds and turkeys exclusively and written by well established national and world champions. You can get these at Breakthrough.com or at McKenzie perhaps.

Bruce M and GotHonks like this.