1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Not Sure Where To Go

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by MoJoDePotatoe, Feb 2, 2020.

1. MoJoDePotatoe

MoJoDePotatoe New Member

Hello everyone! I obviously am new to this site. I signed up because I just had one of my aunts pass away. We are just getting started with getting the rest of the family any items they may want. My aunt and uncle were very much animal people, even started their own kennels in 1959 and eventually retired.

But I'll cut to the chase, they had acquired quite a few birds that were stuffed. My uncle loved birds. I believe a couple are falcons, some pheasants, ducks and maybe kestrels. I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to species, but I know that he invested a lot of money in the birds. They have been in the house the entire time and mounted on the walls.

I was just up at their house, but did not get any pictures. I plan on going back in a couple weeks, so if pics are wanted, I'll have them shortly,

I just dont want to see these wind up getting trashed or destroyed, so I would appreciate any advice or help.

Thanks in advance!!!
    Joe

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Any birds of prey are illegal so be carful of what you say and post till you find out if they are legal to possess. As it could lead into some legal issues. Ck federal regs to find out .

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020

3. Yes better get a hold of your local game warden before you take over possession

4. MoJoDePotatoe

MoJoDePotatoe New Member

Thank you for the heads up, I did not know that. I will check this week. I know that he did purchase them, so I'm hoping that everything legal, he was a law abiding person.

5. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Most permits for such birds are and where given to teach and for educational purposes, so if he was a teacher or instructor he may have permits somewhere for them

6. Sorry for your aunt's passing. If you find out they are legal, you have two choices, sell/donate or keep them. If you choose to sell them, this site has an active For Sale section.

7. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

if they were pre ban species they would be legal to have yourself because of their age but could only be donated not sold