1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

A Bit Of A Mess....

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Kris1224, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Kris1224

Kris1224 New Member

NYC
    Hello!

I am hoping for some suggestions. I have gone through the process of pickling/ tanning and the hair is now “shedding”. I wouldn’t quite call it “slipping”, but perhaps that’s what it is.

Back story: My dog of 11 years died in the aftermath of a car accident (slipped out and onto a very busy highway). We were prevented (by the PD and fast moving traffic) from recovering what was left of her body - she was small at 12 lbs. However, I returned to the site 2 days later and scoured the roads in search of anything. What I found, and all I found, was her fur - 5 small-ish pieces and 1 larger one). The temperature had been in the high 30’s and there were no obvious signs of decomposition.

I brought it home, scrubbed with Dawn, salted, and ordered a kit from Trubond. The fur was well-fleshed from being on the road, but was covered in oil/grime.

Followed the instructions from TruBond:
    Rehydrate: Lipasolv 55, salt, water
    Pickle for 48 hours: citric acid, salt, water + lipasolv 77 (degreaser). Maintain ph btwn 1.5 and 2.
    Remove from pickle, shave (at this point I applied stop-rot - a little too late, but figured it wouldn’t hurt)
    Return to pickle for 24 hours.
    Neutralize for 30 min: salt, baking soda and water
    Tan with TruBond 1000
    Oil with Lubri-stretch 2000

The small pieces: all things considered, they turned out fine. The skin is thin, but the hair is tight.

As for the large piece (back skin): This piece was heavily coated in oil/dirt. I worked on it, but throughout the pickling/ tanning process it was caked with grime. Only after it was tanned, was I able to shave and remove most of the "road".

However, by this point, the roots were exposed. Needless to say, the hair is loose - light “shedding”, but not falling out in clumps.

I realize exposed roots would cause this. But I am also wondering if pickling the skin before removing the oil/ grime would prevent the pickle from penetrating thoroughly?

If that’s the case, would it make sense to start over with the rehydrate/pickle/neuralize/ tanning steps, since now most of the dirt/ grime has been removed? Or would doing so create more problems? Any other ideas?

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Ok after reading your thread you actually answered your own question knowing hair roots are exposed. Once that’s done nothing will stop hair from coming out . There are options as to applying latex and covering the skin with nylon gauze etc.
    Next time yes the grime should be removed when you hydrate it.
    As for redoing all the steps you don’t have as the pickle and tans work through the flesh side so your ok

3. Kris1224

Kris1224 New Member

NYC
    The grime was actually on the flesh side, and only on the flesh side... does that make a difference? (meaning, can the pickle penetrate the hair side?)

4. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

yes it works through both hair and flesh