1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tanned Mule Deer Cape Slipping

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by BTaxidermy, Feb 5, 2020.

1. BTaxidermy

BTaxidermy New Member

Hello I tanned a mule deer hide using mckenzie tanning products. Everything seemed to go good like usual but when I was pulling the cape onto the form a bunch of hair just slipped. I could just rub the hair and it would fall out. Their was also a brown color at the base of the hair in the area that was slipping. The rest of the cape was perfect with no slippage problems. I would appreciate any info on what I did or what could've happened. thanks 20200203_234220[1].jpg 20200203_234222[1].jpg

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

There are many reasons on why this could have happened.
    Rub on tans are good if there chemically stable to where little or no mixing is needed. Saying this means if your tan solution was not totally mixed that could cause an issue.
    Other is to wet of the epidermal. This means if your hair side was kept to wet during the process , that may cause it.
    Even though the cape as stated was perfect shape the whole process of pickling and tanning is harsh on skins and that may bring out issues. This is why there’s no guarantees on tanning when sent to a tannery.
    Other than all said is bacteria.
    There’s always way to many variables on why capes slip that it’s hard to pin point but I rather do synthetic soak tans as their more dependable and I get a better quality tan this way.

woakley144 and BTaxidermy like this.

3. Mmjhunter

Mmjhunter New Member

Could be from shocking the skin

BTaxidermy likes this.
  4. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

I have had the same issue with muley capes..... I was told that I may not have gotten the cape thin enough when I was thinning it on the round knife..... I will always send the muley's out to the tannery from now on.... Very seldom have a slipping issue with whitetails unless they are not treated right before I get them in the shop.... What Frank said...Bacteria it's our worse enemy in tanning....

BTaxidermy likes this.
  5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    The type of tan probably had nothing to do with it. I had this happen to a whole batch of capes tanned at a tannery ranging from elk to white tails. If you do some digging you may find my posts about it. Anyway I talked to multiple other professional tanners and it was determined by most that it was the fact that the capes were bagged and not frozen while too wet. Once the cape is neutralized bacteria can start to flourish again and when you have all that moisture it compounds that.

BTaxidermy and Fallenscale like this.
  6. BTaxidermy

BTaxidermy New Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. I appreciate it. I believe it was probably caused by the cape being too wet and being bagged without freezing for too long.