1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Made A Pressure Tanner / Auto Tanner

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by edgar, Feb 6, 2020.

1. edgar

edgar Member

20200205_205532.jpg 20200205_205544(0).jpg Made my self a pressure tanner / auto tanner . Pretty happy with the way it came out . 20200205_205532.jpg

John C, Fallenscale, tem and 3 others like this.
  2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

No need for pressure as it does nothing to tan the cape. It’s the constant agitation that does this.
    It was covered by the maker Steve on he was the first to design it and cane back to say it wasn’t pressure but agitation.
    Nice work but you wasted some money.

byrdman likes this.

3. vtlongbeard

vtlongbeard New Member

After reading many previous posts about auto tanners, and the act of the agitation being the enabler to a faster, more even tan, I got the idea to convert my old washing machine into one. I haven’t done it yet, but my thought is to override the timing mechanism so that I can Turn it on a mild agitate setting for 4 hours while the hide and tanning solution are in there. Even better, I can manually turn it to the drain setting to drain the contents and then use the spin setting to wring it out. Anybody ever try anything like this?

John C likes this.
  4. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

I don't know about that vtlongbeard. If you are using the agitator to do the skin movement I personally would be worried that the agitator would damage skins. Especially thin skins like foxes. If you do it please let us know how it works out. This is on top of the fact that you will be using a lot of tanning crystals which over time could get very expensive. Just my thoughts!

5. edgar

edgar Member

I only wasted around 200 dollars in materials i got the tank for 60 bucks so i think 200 is pretty good compared to 3000 for the original pressure tanner

6. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

edgar,
    where did you get your tank?

7. hunte567

hunte567 Member

8. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

you can save solution by where you run discharge hose