1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Deer Eye's

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by drob, Feb 6, 2020.

1. drob

drob Active Member

I'm curious as to how most of you attach your eyes to your forms.I used to use clay but went to glue a few years ago.I struggle with the glue and I am thinking of going back to clay!looking for advice,etc. thanks

2. brianmrusher

brianmrusher Member

I use critter clay and have had no issues. I do rough up the where the eye sets before I put the clay in it first though.

Micah Howards and Chippers like this.

3. drob

drob Active Member

thanks for the help

4. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Yep I pop a little hole out with lip tucking tool , push critter clay in set and shape eye , never had an issue. Sounds to me like your just putting eye in form and not molding you eye with clay or anything till after you put cape on and mount deer ?

Doubled-d65 likes this.
  5. drob

drob Active Member

My main problem is getting the pupil lined-up correctly.it's hit or miss even though I use level marks.Then I have to pop them out,clean off glue and start over.Using clay sounds like the way to go !

6. 13 point

Yea I put clay in little hole I made then I fill back of eye with clay , just a little more then level and push eye back till it touches form twisting it so it’s imbedded , level off , then roll a bead of clay to fill in round top and bottom of eye . That locks it in and yet you can still move it a little if needed. Then I do my detail attitude I want eye to have , kinda thing. I let the critter clay start to harden as I prep cape so when I pull cape over it don’t mess my clay work up . The moisture of the cape and glue will bring clay back to soft state to let me tuck and move skin as needed. Hope this helps ya

Micah Howards and Doubled-d65 like this.
  7. drob

drob Active Member

Thankyou very much for the help!

8. Heath Cline

Heath Cline Well-Known Member

Ohio
    I hot glue the eye into the mannikin. Then all my eye work is done after the cape is on and through the eye.

tem likes this.
  9. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

That's interesting , never heard of doing it that way before. When I first did taxidermy, (late 50's) we put the clay in through the eye hole ( of the paper mannikin) after the cape was sewn on and stapled around the back then put the head on a homemade wooden mounting stand then put the eye in through the eye hole and Formed the clay around the eye. Adding or subtracting as needed. The eyes then were "globe" eyes.

10. Heath Cline

Heath Cline Well-Known Member

Ohio
    Richard,
    I do pretty much the same except I put the eyes in before sliding the cape on. But yes, the eye work is the last thing I do, putting the apoxie sculpt or clay through the eye hole and doing my eye work then.
    This is how we all did it at Buckeye Mannikins. I guess it was a Buckeye thing, LOL
    Funny side note. I once watched Cary Cochran mount a deer head in a seminar. He had the deer head mount with only the eyes left to do. He then realized in front of everybody that he had forgot to put the eyes in ahead of time. LOL

Micah Howards likes this.
  11. whitetails and fish only

whitetails and fish only Well-Known Member

I tried hot glue for a while but the glue set up before I could get the pupil lined up properly. Went back to epoxy.

drob likes this.
  12. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

bondo... rough up the socket on form run in a screw fill back of eye then set in place.... mark the level cuts with sharpie first and put small marks on the white part of eye at ends of pupil to line up with marks on form... do clay work the day before so it sets... when cape is on and sewed up peel back and put thin layer of caulk or paste around eye.... skin is trimmed right up to lid... no tucking of skin

13. 13 point

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  14. verne

verne Well-Known Member

Hot Glue them in ; if you don't get them level reheat with hair dryer and correct them .

15. AZ~Rich

AZ~Rich " Africa" never fails to satisfy

Ditto on 13 PT ‘s method. I like being able to adjust and critter clay works best IMO. I have them set to level and Clayed in the day before and it does soften again after the glued cape has been pulled over. Easy to add clay if needed to build brows or lids if that’s what it needs as you detail it out.