1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mud

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by AllieC, Feb 7, 2020.

1. AllieC

AllieC Member

What’s a good way to make artificial mud? I’m looking for the easiest, cheapest way! It’s for a Male Roul Roul mount ive been wanting to do

2. Jimmy Rimrock

Jimmy Rimrock Yeah, they come to snuff the rooster

Depends how thick it is. I usually have a foam base, roughed up to accept a heavy coat of dextrin hide paste, then heavy sprinkled coat of peat moss/potting soil mix. Make sure you get adequate coverage. Then a spritz of thinned down white glue. Depends how much time you what to spend on it. You can use a brush to stipple, "mashing" the "dirt" to get full coverage. Takes a while to dry, then you can lock it down with a coat or two of clear spray; matte, satin or gloss depends on what look you want.

Avoid any "moisture control" type potting soils or heavy vermiculite. They don't look as good due to the white chunks and spheres.

AllieC likes this.

3. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

image.jpg image.jpg

I mix peetmoss crush up leaves and some green mosses that I smash and twist up real small , I mix well , even thow in some little twigs. I then mix evirotech lite and I drop the dirt mix in and keep mixing to a nice paste , making it as thick or thin as I want by putting more or less dirt then I use a large pop cycle stick and smear it in place as desired, if I want a puddle I just build it up a little and after it kicks off and drys I mix a little more EL and pour into that little area and let it kick , now you have a muddy scene with puddles

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    porterfield, AllieC and FishArt like this.
  4. AllieC

AllieC Member

I
    I️ think I’m going to go with this method, seems like it has the exact look I’m going for with minimal products. Thank you both for the tips I️ appreciate it!

5. 13 point

Glad to help , I mix little batches in a Solo cup at a time , if any questions shoot me a pm , glad to help in anyway. Goodluck

AllieC likes this.
  6. crablover

crablover Active Member

13 Point, curious if you give private lessons

7. 13 point

Sometimes, but I just really like helping people . My number is+14109771856 Glen if you like to talk