1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Polar Bear Mount

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Walter Oleniewski, Feb 7, 2020.

1. I am interested in donating a life size mounted polar bear which I legally hunted in Canada in 1998, & imported to the US. I have all of the USF&WS forms/permits. Since the mount was hunted in 1998, it is protected by the Marine Mammal Protection Act (MMPA - 16 USC 3372), & cannot be sold.

I am in the process of downsizing and need to find a new showcase for my polar bear.The bear is beautiful and I hate to part with it, but it is physically and logistically impossible for me to keep the polar bear. I would love to see it on display for as many people to visit it as possible, & preferably in or near Maryland. No donation to private residences. 52157299-3197-42CB-876C-09D37ACD6541.jpeg 72A71797-23D7-4456-B943-55BC37F73E84.jpeg 282CB5B4-ED54-495F-92DE-4ECE1E8C7844.jpeg

msestak likes this.
  2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

What about Bass pro in Hanover MD

msestak likes this.

3. I tried. That was my first choice. The manager, Dave Farmer, loved the idea, but had no authority to accept the donation. Such decisions come from Springfield, MO. After about 6 months, the lady from Springfield notified me in September 2018 that Bass Pro would accept the donation, and the polar bear would have its own diorama. The donation was sent to Bass Pro Legal for final review. Despite multiple inquiries by me, Bass Pro has not provided any further explanation or information since September 2018.

msestak likes this.
  4. Jean-François Hallé

Jean-François Hallé New Member

Hi, I'm working in a research center in Québec, Canada. The research center is part of the St-Félicien college and we work on northern fur with people of tanning industry, taxidermist and First Nation. We are very interseted by your mount and we can arrange the transport. If your are intersted, your bear will be display on the central area of the college who promote wildlife management and the fur industry. We currently work with Inuit people to. If you are intersted, here my email: [email protected]

5. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

North American Bear Center, Ely Minnesota would love it and would take exceptional care of it like they do to all mounts and thier live bears am sure Lynn Rogers would pay frieght

Attached Files:

6. bigbrowns

bigbrowns New Member

You could donate it to a natural history museum.

7. Brookside Nature Center right in your backyard! It would be a huge attraction in our community. Message me for details. I know the naturalist who manages their taxidermy.

8. I did go there last year, & was told that they only wanted taxidermy of local wildlife. If you can speak to the naturalist, that would be acceptable with me.

Walter Oleniewski