1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Painted Wall For Photos???

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by BO-N-ARO, Feb 8, 2020.

1. BO-N-ARO

BO-N-ARO Hunt hard but hunt safe!

Anyone use a painted wall to take photos of your finished work?
    I use a black back drop now that is held with a tube supported by telescoping tripod stands now. This is a hassle trying to keep it clean and wrinkle free and just getting tired of setting it up and taking it down.
    I have a wall in the garage that I and thinking of painting black to hang pieces on for the photos.
    Thoughts???

2. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Why black? I know it looks good as a background with fish photos, but black is a tough on cameras to get things right. You can add black later on your computer with some photo editing software. You'd be better off with something more in the middle like tan or gray. Personally, I like a white background for my fish pics. However, white also is tough to deal with the camera and getting lighting correct BUT it allows the colors to be seen in the fins and such where there is some translucency. If you're not worried about that, then I think a neutral color would be best. I too had a painted wall in my garage dedicated to fish pics with a neutral backdrop tho...

3. BO-N-ARO

BO-N-ARO Hunt hard but hunt safe!

D34AFCDE-02D5-466F-99CC-F399DEB2D0A9.jpeg Went with a grey and like the results. I need to play with the lighting and think once it stops raining and open the garage door the natural light will help. FA4953E3-647D-45FB-8CDF-77CB53F7B4A0.jpeg DE3C1D11-2E89-4AD3-9133-184579DFE726.jpeg

Lance.G likes this.
  4. FishArt

I think it's easier to throw a colorful fish on the wall to test your setup/lighting. Fish are the hardest to photograph and pick up all the subtle colors. And then of course it doesn't hurt if you have a good digital camera either.

Glenn M likes this.
  5. h20halo

h20halo Member

FishArt is right about the digital camera. There is so much technology built into them its almost not fair for people that know what they are doing with the settings. Alot of cameras have a histogram on them and adobe lightroom is inexpensive and easy to use for getting colors and lighting right. You can take the crappiest picture now days and if its in focus you can make it look amazing without much expertise. All on youtube.

FishArt likes this.
  6. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

I photograph nearly everything using a black background.

FishArt likes this.
  7. FishArt

You obviously have a quality camera and know how to use it Rick! Dark or black backgrounds are like white backgrounds in that you're on the extremes with your lighting. Cheaper cameras (or cell phone cameras) have trouble with over-correcting due to those backgrounds. The other reason I prefer a light background is oftentimes the fish I paint have some translucency in their fins. With a dark background those subtle colors in those translucent fins are totally lost with a dark background. Just my preference. For those that don't have the luxury of a quality digital camera (and know how to use those manual settings) the easiest solution is to use a neutral colored background IMO....

Rick Carter likes this.
  8. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

2ABD896F-6E00-4323-AF73-B733AE3780F1.jpeg B739E199-A63C-4542-9002-7A1B6ED862B5.jpeg I tried to dedicate a wall for photos but takes up to much area , and I found just taking the mounts outdoors helps with my not knowing what the hell im doing with a camera

9. Rick Carter

You're exactly right. Without a good camera, soft boxes, barn doors, tubes & reflectors you may be in trouble. Cellphones are out. I never send cellphone pics to clients.

FishArt likes this.
  10. Rick Carter

Try photographing outside on an overcast day. Natural soft box.

NMJagdHunter and FishArt like this.