1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wackiest Taxidermy Questions You've Been Asked

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by SterlingFoxCreations, Feb 9, 2020.

1. What are some of the craziest questions you've ever been asked by non-taxidermists about taxidermy?

2. tat

tat Active Member

what would you charge to mount my ex wife and my mother in law at a sports show I had a booth in and yes there was alcohol involved by them not me
    ??? was hard to give a straight answer with out a smile

3. tem

tem Well-Known Member

come to pick it up and ask if they can pay me later.

rogerswildlife, magicmick and FishArt like this.
  4. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

If I have my dog mounted can you fix it up so it can still bark?

5. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

The main question I get is man that’s a nice buck , who killed that , my answer is , if I told you you wouldn’t know him . If you knew him , you would already know who’s it was , as they would have showed , called or text you by now .

magicmick and tem like this.
  6. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Would you mount my Mother-in -Law? My response is "The only natural pose for her would be with an open mouth"!

7. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

how do you take the meat out, are those the real eyes,can you make a shrunken head, can you mount this owl if I give you an extra ten bucks,had a game warden ask me what kind of bird was this(hun),can you make this (immature pinny shot up )duck look like this calender pic, why do you have to freeze them first,

rogerswildlife, magicmick and tem like this.
  8. Richs Taxidermy

Richs Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Yes,do you use the real eyes.

magicmick and tem like this.
  9. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

"Are the guts still in there?" Also have been asked, "How do you keep it from smelling?" ... My response is that it isn't breathing so it can't smell (usually met with the deer in the headlights look).

George, magicmick, tem and 2 others like this.
  10. I had someone with whom I did some trading remark about a lifesize black bear that I got in the trade that if I didn't like the closed mouth pose I could "easily open the mouth".... This for a mount that was who knows how old. I told him that doing such a thing would be next to impossible and if I wanted an open mouth bear I'd just mount one for myself! Would be a heck of a lot easier and far, far less chance of ending up with something totally ruined.

livbucks and magicmick like this.
  11. Phone rings.......hello? Yes, can you bronze my pugs nuts and put them on a chain? Of course, we bronze scrotum sacks for custom jewelry all the time. The cost is $1200.

12. Heath Cline

Heath Cline Well-Known Member

Ohio
    Ive had guys ask me "how much to mount there wife or girlfriend" and laugh while asking.
    I always tell them I have to see a picture of their wife or girlfriend first to see if they are even mountable. They usually quit laughing then, LOL

livbucks, HondaXR250, George and 8 others like this.
  13. I always like to tell people that if the end product smells bad, you're doing it wrong. I feel like with as little as people know about taxidermy, we could definitely get away with answering 'yes' to many of these questions lol.

tem likes this.
  14. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Had a women ask me if I could preserve the tattooed back skin of her deceased father, wanted to frame it when done, no joke

15. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

Person wanted a pigs butt mounted.

16. Clovis Point

Clovis Point Active Member

I seriously was about to create a thread just like this the other day when someone asked me,

“do you get a lot of meat out of the deer you mount? Like do you get to keep it?”

17. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Just had that question the other day , I kid you not I wieghted it a 26lbs neck roast, it was in the skinning pool and a guy comes in and ask if I ever keep the neck meat from deer I skin for mount , said he would .

George likes this.
  18. qltycapes

qltycapes Well-Known Member

19. antlermike

antlermike Active Member

Can you mount my wife in a closed mouth pose

livbucks likes this.
  20. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I've had all those. The meat guys were common wanting to know if my freezer was full. I'd tell then to go outside and lift the lid on that 150 gallon container. They always seemed shocked that it was filled with spoiled meat.( I had a local butcher who had a rendering contract). As 13 Poist says, there's one butcher between his and my shop that ROUTINELY leaves 20+ pounds of neck meat.)
    The turkey guys were a PITA. They insisted I skin it while they waited and wanted the meat. I refused. I'm working deer so turkeys went to the freezer. I told them I was not a butcher and if they got sick, I wasn't going to be used for using dirty tools. They could eat it or mount it but not both at my shop.